SLP Cat Back on Cobra???

BlakeGT

Jul 8, 2004
Missouri
My first question is, does welded in flows give you the save power gains as a complete cat-back exhaust??? And the second question is. What cat-backs sound good on a 2001 cobra. I like the sound of my prochamber(no cats) and 2 chamber flows. Is the Loudmouth II louder than 2 chamber flows??ANy advice well be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Blake

• Sponsors (?)

I put a Loudmouth on my wife's 96 last year and kept the stock H-pipe. Every Mustang person that has heard it says it sounds badass. Very mellow at idle or part throttle and terrifying to small children and animals when wide open.

My friend has the SLP catback on his '03 Cobra with the stock H, I think it sounds awesome, very raw and pissed on startup then menacing when flooring it or pulling away. :nice:

I would imagine it would be loud, but I think they sound like glasspacks, spintechs sound deceant. I totally scared a girl I work with today, she was getting ready to cross the street, so I did a fly by almost sideways, she said it was way too loud. I think her mouth is, so I guess were even.

I have SLP on my GT and NO it does not sound like glass packs !! Loud as hell with 4 cats........

I have packs on the 97, nice and DEEP.
But TOO quiet for me. needs offraod to sound good.

BlakeGT said:
My first question is, does welded in flows give you the save power gains as a complete cat-back exhaust??? And the second question is. What cat-backs sound good on a 2001 cobra. I like the sound of my prochamber(no cats) and 2 chamber flows. Is the Loudmouth II louder than 2 chamber flows??ANy advice well be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Blake

Blake,

Just my opinion, but I think a catback will give you power hp/tq gains than welded mufflers, but I could be wrong. I am farily certain however, that an after maket x or h coupled with a catback will defianlty give you more hp/tq than just welded mufflers.
Have you visited MustangExhaust.com? There are some good sound clips there.

Cavallo said:
The some of HP comes from the pipe diameter.
The stock muffs flow well.

The 03-04 cobra's are the proof........

True, but I believe stock pipes under the car are running 2 1/4 compared to 2 1/2 for after market. So, I'd say a mid pipe and a catback will yeild more hp/tq gains.
On my 00 GT, I had a catted Bassani X and welded in mufflers. The mufflers were great, and gave me better sound, but I could really feel a difference when I had the Bassani X installed.

I can't speak for the 03/04's exhaust setup

BlakeGT said:
so do you think with a mac prochamber, the slp would sound good???? Should i get the loudmouth, or loudmouth II????

Thanks

I think it would be very loud. But I like very loud so it would probably sound good to me. Have you been to mustangexhaust.com to listen to some setups?
I heard an 03 GT with BBK headers and SLP catback, not sure about the midpipe, it sounded mean though, I liked it. That's the car I was going to buy but the tranny was messed up and it took them to long to fix it. In the meantime I found my baby, my 01 Cobra :hail2:

But anyway, I think that would sound mean, just my opinion :D

BlakeGT said:
Yes i have and i loled the SLP loudmouth with the stock mid-pipe. Would you go with the Loudmouth with my prochamber, or the loudmouth II?. I don;t want to be anooeying. Thanks

With a Prochamber, I'd probably go with the loudmouth II, but that's just my opinion.
Have you dyno'd the car? I'd love to see before and after results.