SLP exhaust install. HELP!

DrK MrK iV

Jan 11, 2004
Charlotte
OK, So I get my SLP loudmouth catback exhaust in today. :banana:
So I start unbolting the stock exhaust. Now I had to cut the stock exhaust to get it off because of the rear axle... But many of you already knew that. BTW Im not using jackstands, jacks or anything. Just me and the car and a tight ass fit. Now it time to install the aftermarket one. WTF?! Im going to have to go exactly the same way stock was-but I had to cut the stock piping in order to get it off... So how the hell do I install this thing. The pipe can not go under the axle because it sits too low, but I can't get it to go over the axel because of the angles and the pipe hitting the ground. How the hell do I do this? I can't go anywhere because I have no mufflers! :shrug: :(

• Sponsors (?)

DrK MrK iV said:
So I start unbolting the stock exhaust. Now I had to cut the stock exhaust to get it off because of the rear axle... But many of you already knew that. BTW Im not using jackstands, jacks or anything. Just me and the car and a tight ass fit. Now it time to install the aftermarket one. WTF?! Im going to have to go exactly the same way stock was-but I had to cut the stock piping in order to get it off... So how the hell do I install this thing. The pipe can not go under the axle because it sits too low, but I can't get it to go over the axel because of the angles and the pipe hitting the ground. How the hell do I do this? I can't go anywhere because I have no mufflers! :shrug: :(
here is what u do....get $30 and take it to a muffler shop take them 15 minutes

how far is it? its not going to hurt the car with no mufflers, just going to be a bit loud... many people drive around with just long tubes.... just take it to the shop, i could not imagine doing any underbody work without even a jack stand or floor jack!

DrK MrK iV said:
So theres absolutly no way I can do this without a lift pretty much? How loud is loud? I don't want to piss off people driving to the shop... Which is right next to a mall.

well... loud like itll probably sound like an old muscle car with a big block... just dont get on it too much... and as far as id say, due to the gemoetry of the pipes and the height off the ground, id say yes you need quite a bit of room under there to work, i put exhaust on both may cars with them about 1.5 ft. off the ground in my garage with some jackstands, and it was still fairly difficult. The muffler shop has a lift and will probably only take 20 mins to do.

95kobrah said:
well... loud like itll probably sound like an old muscle car with a big block... just dont get on it too much... and as far as id say, due to the gemoetry of the pipes and the height off the ground, id say yes you need quite a bit of room under there to work, i put exhaust on both may cars with them about 1.5 ft. off the ground in my garage with some jackstands, and it was still fairly difficult. The muffler shop has a lift and will probably only take 20 mins to do.

What will it sound like If I do get on it. Just out of curiousity. :D

DrK MrK iV said:
What will it sound like If I do get on it. Just out of curiousity. :D

Then do what we all would do... drop the hammer and be ready for some eardrum bustin... but dont expect it to run like it had exhaust, with no backpressure and oxygen sensors it may act a lil funny.

Didn't need to cut my factory system out at all - used a hoist, unbolted bottom of right rear shock, both upper control arms, unbolted driveshaft. Old came right out and SLP went right in. (Now replaced with Borla)

No jacks or jackstands... :bang:

DrK MrK iV said:

Yea yea... I know Im cheap as hell. Im going to go buy a good jack and jackstand this weekend. I just started doing mods to my car, so Im slowly buying tools for it. I guess jacks and jackstands should have been number one instead of number 3...

Yea yea. So I called the shop, and I told him the situation. He says he might need to drop the axle. I think thats bull****, so I just need to get the car high enough to get it at an angle to put it over the axle right?

He will NOT have to drop the axle. The SLP stuff is in 3 pieces, and is a very simple install once its on a lift or jack stands. Just take it and don't let him charge you for dropping the axle. It should be no more than an hour's labor.

Andy

Yea I went to the shop and helped them. It took 15 minutes once it was on a lift. Im deffinatly going to get some jackstands and a jack soon. Thanks for the help. BTW it sounds pretty mean. No loud enough though. An Xpipe should fix that though. :D