small questions disty/lower intake etc.

95PGTTech

Jan 28, 2008
I need to confirm that I am clocking the distributor correctly in this new motor. First, I briefly guesstimated what it looked like in the old car (wiring harness pointing to passenger side). Next I brought cylinder one, driver side front most, up to top dead center by sticking a 1/4" drive extension down the spark plug hole and rotating the motor in the rotation of operation (righty tighty) until the extension came all the way up and stopped. then I verified this is on top dead center of the compression stroke (start of ignition stroke) by looking at the valves...both are closed.

adammotor070.jpg

adammotor068.jpg

adammotor069.jpg

then I put the stock broken cap on because it has an idicator for #1 cylinder. the cap only goes on the distributor one way. so I know i want the rotor to end up pointing at the #1 tower on the cap once it is in and sitting flush to the block.

I ended up having to rotate the distributor rotor about 1 post counter clockwise because as the distributor mates to the cam gear it seems to turn 1 post clockwise. it ended up sitting right under the #1 post on the cap when I had it torqued down and flush to the block. this is the correct procedure?

now we has more issues...this lower is so big that I'm afraid about the clearance with the distributor and cap.

adammotor067.jpg

so I put on the cap we are going to use and the phenolic spacer

adammotor074.jpg

adammotor075.jpg

adammotor076.jpg

adammotor077.jpg

adammotor078.jpg

adammotor079.jpg

adammotor080.jpg

and then the upper intake

adammotor072.jpg

adammotor073.jpg

should I clearance the phenolic spacer or the distributor, or leave it. I don't like how it's sitting because I have to basically force it in. If I install the phenolic spacer and upper, then the distributor, the disty is next to impossible to get in. it is pushing the phenolic spacer slightly off center.

Attachments

• adammotor070.jpg
    adammotor070.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 65
  • adammotor068.jpg
    adammotor068.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 92
  • adammotor069.jpg
    adammotor069.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 77
  • adammotor067.jpg
    adammotor067.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 67
  • adammotor074.jpg
    adammotor074.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 72
  • adammotor075.jpg
    adammotor075.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 77
  • adammotor076.jpg
    adammotor076.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 75
  • adammotor077.jpg
    adammotor077.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 67
  • adammotor078.jpg
    adammotor078.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 71
  • adammotor079.jpg
    adammotor079.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 79
  • adammotor080.jpg
    adammotor080.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 76
  • adammotor072.jpg
    adammotor072.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 65
  • adammotor073.jpg
    adammotor073.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Sponsors (?)

I just changed it to reflect the picture. Brought the actual number one up to top dead on compression stroke and put the distributor how it is in the picture. With the disty tightened down again, the rotor points to the number one tower.

I also noticed that the notch in the distributor that only allows the cap to go on one way points forward. I guess that makes sense. And yet the problem with the lower is still there. If the pheno was the exact size as the lower, it would hit the distributor and not allow it in at all, but the pheno is slightly smaller on the outside. And yet, it still would hit the cap as it goes on. As it sits now, if I put the distributor in, then the pheno, then the cap, then the upper, it works and has a paper thin clearance. But the cap won't come off with the upper on.

With the pheno, should we use a gasket above and below, or RTV?

I have a gasket on each side of my pheno spacer. Mine is very tight as well, but I have more issues with the front fuel line than the intake itself. It rubs my MSD dizzy which is not good. But at least once you set the timing, it won't be moving anymore. At least mine won't be. I use base timing, then my tune controls any changes. :shrug:

On a build this weekend, same intake, same distributor cap/body. It is a tight fit. Trickflow sends a piece of glorified wire loom to put on the front fuel line where it rubs.

We were able to clock the distributor so that everything fit snug, but did fit properly. I would be tempted to grind a tad off of the spacer, but only after I had exhausted all my clocking options.

Wes

I also noticed that the notch in the distributor that only allows the cap to go on one way points forward. I guess that makes sense. And yet the problem with the lower is still there. If the pheno was the exact size as the lower, it would hit the distributor and not allow it in at all, but the pheno is slightly smaller on the outside. And yet, it still would hit the cap as it goes on. As it sits now, if I put the distributor in, then the pheno, then the cap, then the upper, it works and has a paper thin clearance. But the cap won't come off with the upper on.

With the pheno, should we use a gasket above and below, or RTV?

Just gasket above and below, the torque is somewhere around the 12-15ft/lb for the upper to lower. Make sure your EGR is not hitting on the valvecover when the upper is torqued down. (slide a piece of paper or feeler gauge between the two)

The way the distributor ended up ths weekend, the harness plug for the dizzy was around the 4-6 o'clock position. I can take pictures if you need them but I think you can mess around with it and figure it out. Our #1 plug wire ended up around 12 o'clock after it was set at 10*BTDC.

Wes