smog pump and canister removal?

jcw88

Never played w/ it before so i'm still a virgin!
Mar 20, 2007
fernandina, fl
i eliminated my smog pump but don't know what i should do w/ the canister? also the valves that are located next to the firewall, i just cut the hoses going to the pump, not what sure if that may cause any harm?

• Sponsors (?)

the canister is very easy to remove,unhook line(make sure to clog it with a bolt cap it off its a vacum line)then slowly pry the canister off with a flat head and its two bolts if i remember that hold the mount in for it. dont know bout the other stuff thou:)

That's what I did, just capped the vac lines to the pump. The canister I don't think is a good idea to take out, not sure why, but if memory serves something about gas fumes from the tank being sucked into the intake for better fuel burning?:shrug:

Why don't people get some education on what things do before raping the car to remove them? Cut or rip out the wrong thing and the car goes into limp mode and you lose power and performance.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $25 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...and no bad ones, why not hook it up & use it?

First of all, who would sell their beloved stang! thats just crazy talk! 2nd, rip that **** out if you don't have emissions in your state! i took all mine off, and there has been no problems. Mind you, it was for looks and weight not hp.... you won't see much, if any hp gains. Make sure to cap the vac. lines, crossover, and your heads, and u should be fine.Leave the cannister though. it doesn't hurt anything. if u do want to ditch it, get a gas cap that vents, or you could f* up your gas tank!