SN95 on dash bezel concept

OZcobra01

May 24, 2010
Melbourne
Looking for feedback on this DIN1 Bezel concept that I made for my Mustang.
I hope to manufacture it, but need to try and see if there may be a market.
It's a huge risk.

The Bezel supports the DIN1 System and Integrates visually and securely onto the center console without drilling into the fascia or textured dash. The Connection method is not visible. The Bezel and the DIN1 Unit can not be stolen without removing the dash fascia and Gear shift Bezel.

Purpose for its creation ... safe and secure eye level viewing of a DIN1 audio visual system containing GPS Sat. Nav., Reversing and or front view night vision Camera and Recorder, DVD / CD, Blue-tooth Hands free Phone, Ipod connection and control screen etc.
or
An line of 3 Gauges. (Boost, Oil, Temp. etc)

No need to replace existing classic audio parts. 100% better positioning, does not obstruct the drivers view. All info at a glance without taking your eyes off the road. Does not interfere with heating or air vents etc. Easy viewing and control from the back.

I connected the system through the Stock 6 stack CD unit. It just becomes another station responding to the CD Volume Fade , Balance menu etc.
.. now I have the best of both worlds. Run the GPS while using the CD Stacker and Tuner.

Works perfectly, no switches being overlayed on obscured by a screen.
No need to look down for information.
No ramming my fist into the screen when changing gear.

Please note the photo attached is not that good because I have spent over a year experimenting with designs and prototypes and although i have a Design patent on the way, I want to try and keep the design and method of attachment as indistinct as possible. It's a tough one!

Hope to here from you

Many thanks

Denis. View attachment 62723

• Sponsors (?)

Looks pretty sweet, definitley MUCH more functional than having it down in the stereo area, clear of shifter and AC controls.

Now to address the real issue...did you have to completely flip your dashboard to do it? that steering wheel is TOTALLY on the wrong side. :0 :| :)

Thank for your reply BIG Sorry, I'm in Australia... My 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra Vert was Manufactured and fully imported from its home in the USA then converted to Right hand drive in Australia by Ford.

The dash is the same. The bezel will fit perfectly.
We just lost a little leg room because we drive in what is your passanger position.

Vaden,Thanks for your reply. I'm in Australia, my 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra Vert. was Manufactured and fully imported from its home in the USA then converted to Right hand drive in Australia by Ford.

The dash is the same. The bezel will fit perfectly.
We lost a little leg room because we drive in what is your passenger position.

No problem man, it just makes me dizzy to see the wheel and shifter in that spot LOL!!

This would be a pretty sweet setup for a miniITX PC mounted under the dash, or maybe something Android powered with touchscreen. I have the Motorola Droid with the window mount and have been thinking lately how nice it would be to have something similar thats actually dash mounted for those of us without $80,000 luxury cars. Full turn by turn GPS, Layar Reality, streaming video for those big days in traffic, Pandora INET radio pushed through the radio... Maybe since your designing and all, you could work on a powerful head unit for it. The miniITX are pretty stable and offer a lot of power, but then you'd have to work on a custom Windows install unless you went Ubuntu or Android open source or...wait, this is a car forum, I'll go back to my geek forums now.

Good luck! If you produce these, dont forget to sell them stateside!!

Whoops...forgot to mention, since you mentioned gauges, maybe a digital engine management/logging suite instead of mechanical gauges. Theres an accelerometer built into my cellphone that is capable of some impressive things, you could go full bore with little trinkets like this in a management package.

Thank you, great ideas, I'll keep you up to date. In Australia like the States a huge proportion of product comes from China and is sold by non patriotic greedy retailers at massive markups. Reluctantly in order to get the DIN 1 System and Cameras I want I have had to order directly from China over the Net. $300 plus freight against $1,200 from a local supplier importing the same product with a known brand name. The reality is this project would not have started if i relied on local supply. All my mustang parts come from the states, fantastic companies to deal with.
The product is in stock here but the mark up is insane.

Take care

Denis