Snapped off screw while mounting shorty antenna

blbrchnk

Oct 16, 2006
Bridgeport, WV
So as the title says, I was installing a shorty antenna and while screwing the thing in, the screw snapped off. it was just about in all the way too.

So my dilemma is how do I get it out or resolve this issue? I have that drab-it drill system that drills into broken screws to pull them out in reverse, but the screw is too small for it.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I have no idea what it is made out of. It really annoys me that something so simple has now become a pain in the rear. I wonder if I could just replace the antenna base?

That's the only thing I can think of without destroying something in the process. Might call the local Ford dealer and see if they have any ideas. They will probably try to sell you a new base though.

You shouldn't need to remove the fender. Just remove the tire and the inner splash shield. That should allow you to get to the base for removal. Of course you will also need to remove the plug from the back of the radio, which means tearing into the upper stack a bit.

You shouldn't need to remove the fender. Just remove the tire and the inner splash shield. That should allow you to get to the base for removal. Of course you will also need to remove the plug from the back of the radio, which means tearing into the upper stack a bit.

I have a custom touchscreen computer that I built and use in place of the standard radio so I am very familiar with the wirings behind the dash so that shouldn't be a problem. I have to replace my upper strut mounts next time I have a chance, so maybe I will take a gander in there during that.

with a little bit of tugging and twisting the plug will come out of the bottom of the base, do that and save yourself the time to pull the dash apart.

I was just working on a 2008 in the shop and for no reason i had a hell of a time getting 2 of the 3 the screws backed out... i dont know if the threads were gunked up or started to rust or what. maybe some are just bad? (it is a ford afterall)

with a little bit of tugging and twisting the plug will come out of the bottom of the base, do that and save yourself the time to pull the dash apart.

I was just working on a 2008 in the shop and for no reason i had a hell of a time getting 2 of the 3 the screws backed out... i dont know if the threads were gunked up or started to rust or what. maybe some are just bad? (it is a ford afterall)

You talking about the 6 screws that hold the center trim on? If so, I have started having issues with those too. I think it is more of an issue with the holes than it is the screws as I could still fit all the screws in the other good holes, yet none of the screws would work in the two stripped holes.

In regards to the antenna though, if it is that hard to remove it, I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to insert it into the new base plate, right?

You talking about the 6 screws that hold the center trim on? If so, I have started having issues with those too. I think it is more of an issue with the holes than it is the screws as I could still fit all the screws in the other good holes, yet none of the screws would work in the two stripped holes.

In regards to the antenna though, if it is that hard to remove it, I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to insert it into the new base plate, right?

maybe im not thinking about the same thing? the piece that bolts on to the fender only has 3 torx screws holding it on. if so, yeah, the problem is definitely with the nuts in the fender that are making the main problem.

it pushes right back in nice and easy (atleast it did for me)

maybe im not thinking about the same thing? the piece that bolts on to the fender only has 3 torx screws holding it on. if so, yeah, the problem is definitely with the nuts in the fender that are making the main problem.

it pushes right back in nice and easy (atleast it did for me)

Yeah I somehow got that confused and was talking about the interior trim around the radio. Dunno how I got that far off base. :shrug:

An option could be drilling a small hole in the antenna piece that broke off, then inserting a screwdriver in the hole and taking it out. Worth a shot before you take all that stuff apart! :D

I have that "Grab-It" kit that is supposed to removed snapped off screws, but it is sort of a tiny bolt and didn't really work on it. I guess I could try the screw driver method.

Thanks!