Snapped Rear Sway bar?

Mustang95GTS

Feb 25, 2004
Two days ago I snapped my rear sway bar, has this happened to anyone else? I know they are kinda wimpy, but I wouldnt think that would snap when launching on street tires. Maybe it was just worn out. I didn't hit anything either, no speed bumps etc.

Thanks
Sean

• Sponsors (?)

Common problem with our cars. I have two rear sway bars on my car just to take the load off the stocker. I have the Steeda adjustable one. Anyway Steeda and some other Companies sell a sway bar that is 25% thicker then ours. I've been told they are Cobra bars. I thought the GT's and Cobras were the same.

VibrantRedGT said:
Common problem with our cars. I have two rear sway bars on my car just to take the load off the stocker. I have the Steeda adjustable one. Anyway Steeda and some other Companies sell a sway bar that is 25% thicker then ours. I've been told they are Cobra bars. I thought the GT's and Cobras were the same.
Yep. I had to replace mine too. I went to the local pick-your-part and found a rear sway bar from an 86 T-bird Turbo coupe. It was a tiny bit smaller in diameter than the stock 95....so not quite as stiff, but it was also only $5 and fit perfectly!! :nice: I havn't noticed any difference in the car's handling from the original stock piece.
A rear sway bar from any turbo coupe (85-88) will fit just fine. Other year's of t-birds also had a rear sway bar that would fit, but those ones are very narraow in diameter ( 1/2 "). You could also look for a used sway bar from an earlier 5.0 mustang of course.

Cheers

Black96VertGT said:
mine was broken when i bought the car. i installed bbk upper/lower control arms. some people say with aftermarket conrol arms, you don't need a sway bar. i'm not so sure. what do you all think?

this isn't OT, is it?
The newer V6 cars don't have them. I drove my Gt around for a while without it installed. Didn't notice anything really terrible. The car did seem to lean a bit more in corners. After I installed the t-bird sway bar, the car turned a bit flatter.

Have a look at the following link for more info than you probably care to know on rear sway bar tech;
http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/sway2.htm