So long lifters, it's been fun..

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Well after 250k+ miles of thrashing and kicking ass, it seems as though one or more of my lifters have called it quits. Either that or some other nasty whateverthehell is causing some metallic sounding knocking when under load or acceleration.

Aaah well, looks like my engine build is getting a little forceful motivation :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah i'll throw a timing light on it and see. It sounds ok at idle though so i don't know if it's a timing issue, it idles smooth just like any other time.

I checked for exhaust leaks and haven't found anything out of the ordinary. I haven't had the chance to look into it and i work all weekend so this'll have to wait until tuesday when i'm off again.

Yeah i'll throw a timing light on it and see. It sounds ok at idle though so i don't know if it's a timing issue, it idles smooth just like any other time.

yeah mine was doing the same thing, ran completely fine otherwise but when you got on the gas you would get that loud ass metal knocking noise. Like hitting an I beam with a wrench or something...really fast though.

Yeah sounds like someone doing a drum roll on a metal pipe. My buddy thinks it's a lifter so i'll pull the valve covers and poke around and see what i find. He's got some low mileage lifters laying around that i'll throw in if necessary just until my engine is finished.

make sure your upper end(rocker arms and lifters) are getting enough oil, start it up with the valve covers off to check..a while ago mine developed a nasty tick, turns out it was from sludge buildup pretty much everywhere, i ran that engine cleaner oil additive through a couple times(add the stuff, then you idle it, with slight revvs then change the oil) and it seemed to work, the inside of the valve covers and under the intake were covered with the thick mess, your problem does sound like a lifter or a flat cam(make sure the push rods spin with the lifters, visible with the valve covers off)

~Mark~