So what is your 302 based shortblock combo??

• Sponsors (?)

I've got 4340 forged crank, h-beams, and SRP 14.5cc dish pistons in my 306. If your going to use the stock block then thats your weak point, the crank, rods, pistons are all going to outlast the block, save yourself a lot of money and use stock parts, aftermarket pistons if you plan on changing the compression, otherwise keep it simple and save some $$$.

Marc, my naturally aspirated 306 has Keith Black hyperutectic domed pistons, stock rods (reconditioned,) stock crank (reconditioned.10-.10), Melling high volume oil pump, and of course all new bearings, gaskets, etc... The block was also decked to bring the compression up to 10:8:1, in conjunction with the 58 cc's of my A.F.R. 185's.

Very interesting guys. Thanks. So i should just buy a decent piston kit and have the other stuff reconditioned and save some money huh?? Anybody know of some decent pistons for an OK price??

for my re-build i am just re-useing the stock pistons,crank and rods im not even gonna turn the crank becuase it shouldnt need it with only 69k and for that matter shouldnt even need it unless it is outta balance then it should be perfectly round. since the stock pistons are forged i am gonna get them fly cut for my 185cc heads with my blower cam and be done with it. if i stay 302 based i am gonna use a r302 for my next block as soon as possible. but i have a girdle for my 302 now so............... im not worried about cracking the stock block.

Marc2 said:
Very interesting guys. Thanks. So i should just buy a decent piston kit and have the other stuff reconditioned and save some money huh?? Anybody know of some decent pistons for an OK price??

TRW Power Forged and Probe FPS are both good stock replacement pistons. TRW's are about $300 a set and the Probes are about $350 a set.

Marc2 said:

TRW Power Forged and Probe FPS are both good stock replacement pistons. TRW's are about $300 a set and the Probes are about $350 a set give or take.

Marc2 said:

TRW Power Forged and Probe FPS are both good stock replacement pistons. TRW's are about $320 a set and the Probes are about $360 a set give or take.

It all depends on what your going to do with it. If your staying N/A. TRW,Probe,Dss are all good choices. The TRW's though require notching if you go to 2.02" intake valves with aftermarket heads. Even the K.B. Hyperutectic pistons are really good for N/A. setups. If you plan on any power adder in the future just put forged pistons in and be done with it. As far as using the stock rods,crank,block they will be fine for a N/A setup as long as the R.P.M.'s are kept under 7000 R.P.M. I have never seen a stock 302 rod break. I've seen stock cranks break and take out everything in their path though.