Softer than 620's w/ 1" drop?

• Sponsors (?)

I got 620`s and I hate them.

Mite as well be freaking solid up there, I can sit on the fender (I weigh 220) and not compress the spring one bit. And when I hit potholes it sounds like the force is pounding the top of the shocktower with a hammer.

Many catalogs carry 560 lb. 1" drop springs for the '67, Mustangs Unlimited, Laurel Mtn., etc. , they go as low as 480lb. for the '65/66, some may have them for the '67?
I've got the 560's but haven't installe them yet, hope they are softer than the 620's from what I hear.
Jon

Yeah I got the Grab-a-trak 560 1" drop springs and they aren't bad. My engine is a 351w too, which 'helps' (basically requires a slightly stiffer spring anyway).

From friends who have them the general consensus seems to be that 620s are too much unless you have a big block or a particularly heavy car for some reason. My 560s are pretty nice.

Me?

What shocks do you have? KYB

What tire pressure are you running? 30-32

What tire size/type do you have?
P215 60R14 on ol' school slotted mags

Looks like this, but with newer tires...

Image001-1.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic.

I'd dump the KYB shocks before I changed the springs. I don't think 620's are too stiff for street use, but the KYB shock is way overvalved.

(Actually I was looking for OP's info, but you're OK too. I work in Lake Forest, FWIW.)

I'd dump the KYB shocks before I changed the springs. I don't think 620's are too stiff for street use, but the KYB shock is way overvalved.

(Actually I was looking for OP's info, but you're OK too. I work in Lake Forest, FWIW.)

I rarely drive my car anymore. I hate the paint and I have an annoying vibration coming from the right-front. I balanced the wheels and had the front end aligned. I think the front end is just clapped out. Should've installed a 5 speed instead of the Lentech AOD...

Where do you work in Lake Forest?

JonK
Many catalogs carry 560 lb. 1" drop springs for the '67, Mustangs Unlimited, Laurel Mtn., etc. , they go as low as 480lb. for the '65/66, some may have them for the '67?
I've got the 560's but haven't installe them yet, hope they are softer than the 620's from what I hear.
Jon

620's is the name of the spring. They are actually rated at 560lbs. So if you buy 560lb. springs, you've actually purchased 620's. The 620 has to do with the diameter of the spring and not it's rating. Some places will market them as 620's while others will market them as 560 lb. springs.

Are there any coil springs for a '67 that are softer than a 620 with a 1" drop?
I currently have 620's but are to stiff for me.
If you remove your 620's let me know, I am needing some. I bought some in the classifieds but turns out they are for a 65-66 and are too short...I have the softer GR2 KYB's so I think that it will work out well with the stiffer spring...

620's is the name of the spring. They are actually rated at 560lbs. So if you buy 560lb. springs, you've actually purchased 620's. The 620 has to do with the diameter of the spring and not it's rating. Some places will market them as 620's while others will market them as 560 lb. springs.

x2. i was going to say the same thing.

This helps a lot:
http://www.eatonsprings.com/Spring Tech 101.pdf

So I'm mixing RATE with Load Rate, all of the catalogs I have state 480/560/620/750lbs./in. rated coil spings. So if I ordered 560, I got 620? what would I get if I ordered 620? they're different part #'S?

If Load Rate is the amount of wt. a spring is designed to carry at a certain height (all 1" drop compared) and a spring has a load rate of 620lbs., then it would have a RATE of ~205lbs. correct?
If this is correct (Eaton) then a 560 Load Rate spring would have a RATE of ~185lbs. making it a 'softer' spring, correct?

Would it be correct to say a 620 spring is made from .620 wire? If that is the case as Eaton refers to it then a 560 spring should be .560 which would make it 'softer'? Am I way off on this?
Jon

I met a guy a couple years ago who was running progressive rate springs (I think they were Eibach's) on the front of his '65. He said the ride was firm but no jarring. I haven't heard anything about progressive rate springs from anywhere else but its worth looking into.

Mustangs Plus calls their 560 spring a 620. Most others call their springs by the rating (a 500 lb spring is called 500). I believe this goes back to the 70's when a 620 spring was about the only choice other than stock. Mustangs Plus marketed their spring as better for the street.

Ride quality is defined by the shock not the spring. Pull those KYB shocks and roll the car across your driveway and it will be wayy too soft whithout a shock to control the springs.

I've used KYB, Koni, Gabriel Stryder, new Gabriels, Edlebrockand Bilstiens on early mustangs. I like the Bilstiens best.

I've also used the Pro Motorsports progressive springs. The 65/6 worked okay for that year, but I didn't like them on my 68. Too much nose dive under braking. I'd recommend a soft spring, a good shock and a 1" anti-sway bar.