Solid Axle Power

99CobraJMS

Founding Member
Sep 10, 2001
Austin
Got my Solid Axle project done and put a few hundred miles on the new rear end over a 5 day period so late this afternoon I spent some time practicing a few launches on my favorite deadend road. Dropped the clutch at 4K and hammered the gas. I totally smoked my 315 F1 GS-D3s, as the Tach went to 7500 (REV LIM was removed by Mike Murillo). NO WHEEL HOP was a blast!!! I can only imagine what my NITTO 315 DRs on a sticky track will do!!! :banana:

I am running Moser 31s and an EATON 31 posi in my 2000 (junk yard) GT rear end. With Summit UCAs and LCAs, Koni yellow SA Shocks with Coil-Overs.

A personal thanks to Kirk Prewitt for building this bad@ss rear end for me!!

J

• Sponsors (?)

03yellowvenum, I would never drop my clutch again with the IRS, since the hop was so bad before. So my left foot is trained to feather the clutch, and will need some re-work now.

01bluecobra, I am in NorthWest area. I do visit AAS now and then.

J.

99CobraJMS said:
Got my Solid Axle project done and put a few hundred miles on the new rear end over a 5 day period so late this afternoon I spent some time practicing a few launches on my favorite deadend road. Dropped the clutch at 4K and hammered the gas. I totally smoked my 315 F1 GS-D3s, as the Tach went to 7500 (REV LIM was removed by Mike Murillo). NO WHEEL HOP was a blast!!! I can only imagine what my NITTO 315 DRs on a sticky track will do!!! :banana:

I am running Moser 31s and an EATON 31 posi in my 2000 (junk yard) GT rear end. With Summit UCAs and LCAs, Koni yellow SA Shocks with Coil-Overs.

A personal thanks to Kirk Prewitt for building this bad@ss rear end for me!!

J

Welcome to the family!

I love my solid and the 4.30s!

Naz

NAZ, Wish I would have done this years ago. I did get to jump up and down, and kick my IRS a few times before someone hauled it away for their project.

Also, didn't I just lose 100 LBS from the rear end? So I can drop my subway diet, because when I am in the stang, I am now a virtual 165LBs!! :banana: :banana:

J

Crackerballer said:
Can I ask how much the complete conversion cost you, including exhaust and suspension? I am wondering if this is a mod I need to do, because I want to go boost.

Depends where you want to go with the car. The stick shaft will break sooner or later, the hop, and the weight IMHO out-weigth the handling benefits.

I can tell you that after I did my swap and installed the D&D U/LCA with Delrin/Poly bushings I could not tell the diference in handling. Yes, it may be just a bit harder and not so "plush" but I love mine.

It's great, bring RPMs to a nice 6000K, and just drop the clutch with ET Streets and hold on!

Naz

Like NAZ says, cost is very different, depends on what you want to build. I found a 2000 GT in a collision junk yard (Rear housing was $500 (parts&removal)) a cheap price, I think $850 or more is more realistic), I tossed all the stock parts and bought performance parts. You could save all these $$s and keep it all stock GT. I just bit the $$s bullet now verse later for these parts:

1) MOSER 31 SPLINE AXLES - $275
2) EATON 31 SPLINE POSI - $485 (I think)
3) SUMMIT UPPER & LOWER CONTROL ARMS - $250

I did keep my rear Cobra slotted/drilled rotors and cobra brakes, but you need to buy special clamps to attach these parts. I think like $100 for each side. Not sure. Needed some ABS changes not sure the details.
If you find a GT rear you can keep the GT rotors and brakes.

I also kept my cobra Koni Yellow SA shocks and Maximum Motors coil over combo. This also required special braces to attach the shocks to the GT Rear housing . Like $50-$75 each.

I bought the cheaper Bassani BX exhaust style from ebay for like $470. Much cheaper than my Stainless Cobra Bassani QT exhaust (I think were like $700)

I did have to also buy a rear sway bar my 2000 GT Rear did not have one. Was like $130 from Ford with brackets. I just got the bolts from a local Bolt company.

So this is some idea. I probably missed some things and a bunch of odds/ends. Look on this forum or others for a complete parts list, I have found them before I just can not remember where.

One odd thing, my 315 tires did actually rub some onto the exhaust so had to hammer in the exahust a little. I did not want to use spacers. It is not visible, I was surprised, I figured no clearance issues with a GT rear since that PITA "IRS bolt head" was gone.