Some Basic CAI Questions

richn41

Mar 14, 2007
Newbie here. I just started reading up on the CAI's. I know most of my questions have already been hashed out on these boards but I got tired of reading and searching.

I'm looking at getting a CAI, but I'm not sure about the tune/no tune. Can somebody explain what is going on with the tune and if it is difficult? I've seen terms tossed around like 87 or 93 tune. I'm assuming that is refering to octane? Also, do ALL tuner/Intake combos allow you to put the stock tune back on at anytime if you so choose (like if I had to take it back to the dealer for something - I already read the discussion about disconnecting the battery, etc).

Finally, I was looking at the Granatelli no tune (25 HP gain) and the C&L (both tune: 26 HP, and no tune: 10 HP). The Granatelli HP numbers seem pretty high for a no tune option. Is that because it comes with a new calibrated MAF? I like the Granatelli for it's looks and the claims on HP gain but I'm a little bit skeptical.

I really want the most "bang for my buck" and I wouldn't mind paying more for a tuned system. What do you all think? Does anybody have experience with these CAI's?

Also, what about K&N's system?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Rich

• Sponsors (?)

The bottom line is: If the CAI does not require a tune it's because the there's not much increase in airflow compared to stock and the car's maf can tell the computer to add the small increase in fuel that will be needed. If the CAI requires a tune it's because the airflow increase is much more intense and to the point where the maf and computer are not capable of adding the fuel which will be required unless the computer is re-flashed with a hand tuner. Hand tuners cost about $399 and they are simple to use. I have a Diablosport tuner and it's been great. It will allow you to adjust lots of things like idle speed, correct the speedo due to gear changes or tire size changes, turn traction control off, and so on.

I suggest a C&L CAI, JLT CAI, or Steeda CAI.

Go with the intake AND tune

I just installed my C&L Racer intake with the BamaChips 93 Octane Torque tune...Holy Crap. I am in love with my car even more. I cannot keep my right foot out of it :D .

There is no throttle lag due to the drive by wire, and it pulls harder in the low end; something you will definitely feel in the seat of your pants if you decide to install one. It was an easy install, but don't get too excited like I did and switch the direction of the MAF sensor around, it doesn't run too well :nonono: A word of advice on the C&L, read the directions once but put them away after you read them. I would have been better off "assembling" the intake if I did not try to read their wordy book of instructions.

I also noticed a nicer sound to my Stang. I have the FRPP GTA axel back and the instake assembly definitely allows it to breath better. Now I need to find an O/R H pipe and LT headers...

Do not waste your time with anything else until you save up $$ for the tune and intake combo. You will not be disappointed. Just my 2 cents though.

Doug at BamaChips is awesome to work with and his tune is great; highly recommend him. A lot of people like Brenspeed too, stick with one of the two.

For an otherwise stock car, the flash/no-flash intakes will be close in power because the stock intake & air filterbox is very restrictive. Once other power mods go on the car, the larger intakes will respond with more power.

Intakes that come with SCT or Diablosport tunes allow a reflash back to stock. I don't know about other tuning systems.

Tom

Check out Demolet cai, beat out every other single cai out there with hp and tq gains, and u can get the cai for 100$ when u buy an sct xcal-2 for 379$.
I paid 479$ shipped for my system, dyno numbers to come!:nice:
http://www.demolet.com/
pics011.jpg

Attachments

• pics011.jpg
    pics011.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 50
Newbie here. I just started reading up on the CAI's. I know most of my questions have already been hashed out on these boards but I got tired of reading and searching.

I'm looking at getting a CAI, but I'm not sure about the tune/no tune. Can somebody explain what is going on with the tune and if it is difficult? I've seen terms tossed around like 87 or 93 tune. I'm assuming that is refering to octane? Also, do ALL tuner/Intake combos allow you to put the stock tune back on at anytime if you so choose (like if I had to take it back to the dealer for something - I already read the discussion about disconnecting the battery, etc).

Finally, I was looking at the Granatelli no tune (25 HP gain) and the C&L (both tune: 26 HP, and no tune: 10 HP). The Granatelli HP numbers seem pretty high for a no tune option. Is that because it comes with a new calibrated MAF? I like the Granatelli for it's looks and the claims on HP gain but I'm a little bit skeptical.

I really want the most "bang for my buck" and I wouldn't mind paying more for a tuned system. What do you all think? Does anybody have experience with these CAI's?

Also, what about K&N's system?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Rich

Definitely get one with a tuner. it will come in handy a lot(meaning the tuner.) C&L racer will be my choice. JLT is good. The DeMolet appears to be good as well according to lightblade and appears to be almost equal to the JLT. I cant say anything for the granitelli, but i would rather have a tuned system. I know how the gran. system works, and i would rather flash the whole ECU than "trick" the maf sensor.

A non tuned system will net less power than a tuned system. Plus, if you decide to go with an OR h pipe or headers, you will need to tune those. if you change rims, or gears, you will need to change the computer for those with the tuner. If your CheckEngineLight comes on, you will be able to read it with the tuner. Get a tuner.

as far as horse power, the tuned ones will always net more power. which one of the tuned ones is better? i dont know, and i dont think there is a difference really. The only difference would be the C&L racer system if you have camshaft upgrades which resulted an additional 5hp over the street system (testing by brenspeed). On a regular cammed car, the racer system has no hp advantage over the others because he others provide sufficient airflow for what the engine requires.

All the other "shootouts" and testing all gave similar results and the C&L and JLT both make the same power or within like .5 hp, and that is because engine temperature and outside air were probably different. They are the same, but depends on whether you want an aluminum pipe or a plastic one.

What does the "Racer" style mean? Is it just larger diameter tube and MAF? Is it just for looks? Also, does anybody have the SCT Livewire tuner. Is it worth the extra $$?

Also, do the tuners from BamaChips come with a USB cable or something so you can download new tunes from Doug? What about switching between tunes? Livewire has a max fuel economy tune which would be great for long trips (I currently live about 4 hrs from most of my family and friends - so I make the trip about once a month or so). But, could you even use a max fuel economy tune with a CAI installed? It seems like you would have to run the "specifically calibrated for you CAI" tunes in order for the car to run properly.

For instance: If I bought the JLT/Livewire combo from Bamachips and then just installed the CAI without the tune, what would happen????? Would the car even run properly?

thats pretty cheap, never heard of them. let me know when u get some dyno runs and/or E.T times

They have been around for long time, i hade their cai on my 01 GT, there is a test in 5.0 mag and quite a few others where demolet intakes beat out the competition, u can find some of them online. Anyways I am getting her dyno'd with 87 octane tune tommorw, will post numbers to see how much the cai made.

What does the "Racer" style mean? Is it just larger diameter tube and MAF? Is it just for looks? Also, does anybody have the SCT Livewire tuner. Is it worth the extra $$?

Also, do the tuners from BamaChips come with a USB cable or something so you can download new tunes from Doug? What about switching between tunes? Livewire has a max fuel economy tune which would be great for long trips (I currently live about 4 hrs from most of my family and friends - so I make the trip about once a month or so). But, could you even use a max fuel economy tune with a CAI installed? It seems like you would have to run the "specifically calibrated for you CAI" tunes in order for the car to run properly.

For instance: If I bought the JLT/Livewire combo from Bamachips and then just installed the CAI without the tune, what would happen????? Would the car even run properly?

You are right. The "RACER" version has a 95mm MAF housing versus the other which is an 8xmm maf housing.

It is not just for looks. If you have nitrous or cams this intake will give you more power than another system. Yet, some suggest the aluminum street intake for nitrous because it is aluminum and stronger. why the hell not use the plastic one? i sprayed for 3 years on my other car with a plastic intake and nothing ever happened and it even had some blow back before. The metal is "better" for nitrous, but it wont flow what you need it to with 100 shot of juice.

I have not read anything on the Livewire tuner. As far as using it for what this car needs it is unnecessary.

You can use a standard USB cable for the SCT tuner.

you can switch tunes.

Specific tunes for the intake are required if the MAF is a different diameter than stock.

If you used the intake without the tune, you would run lean, creating too much heat, and potentially burn the engine out. This is an extreme case, but usually the car will not have enough fuel in the combustion chamber to compensate for the extra air and it will not run properly. less power and fuel mileage and decreased engne life would all result from an untuned intake.

IMO, just get the xcalibrator 2, the livewire is "better" but at an extra $200?

Definitely get one with a tuner. it will come in handy a lot(meaning the tuner.) C&L racer will be my choice. JLT is good. The DeMolet appears to be good as well according to lightblade and appears to be almost equal to the JLT. I cant say anything for the granitelli, but i would rather have a tuned system. I know how the gran. system works, and i would rather flash the whole ECU than "trick" the maf sensor.

A non tuned system will net less power than a tuned system. Plus, if you decide to go with an OR h pipe or headers, you will need to tune those. if you change rims, or gears, you will need to change the computer for those with the tuner. If your CheckEngineLight comes on, you will be able to read it with the tuner. Get a tuner.

as far as horse power, the tuned ones will always net more power. which one of the tuned ones is better? i dont know, and i dont think there is a difference really. The only difference would be the C&L racer system if you have camshaft upgrades which resulted an additional 5hp over the street system (testing by brenspeed). On a regular cammed car, the racer system has no hp advantage over the others because he others provide sufficient airflow for what the engine requires.

All the other "shootouts" and testing all gave similar results and the C&L and JLT both make the same power or within like .5 hp, and that is because engine temperature and outside air were probably different. They are the same, but depends on whether you want an aluminum pipe or a plastic one.

I was sold on the c&l racer cai as well, and i was going to buy it, and my friend told me that demolet had a 05+ system, and not only was equal if not better than the top cai's out there it was cheaper than all of them, and i personaly hate the idea of a metal cold air intake, it just makes sense that plastic stays cooler and suffers from way less heat soak, and the demolet comes with 100mm abs plastic tubing and a 95mm mas, and for 100 bucks when u buy a xcal-2, i was sold and bought it there on the spot. Gave demolet my computer code and info and 3 business days later it arrived. they also offer lots of custom options such as factory matched paint, and diff color filters. Anyways i def reccomend everyone at least check this kit out before buying a cai:nice:

I was sold on the c&l racer cai as well, and i was going to buy it, and my firend told me that demolet had a 05+ system, and not only was equal if not better than the top cai's out there it was cheaper than all of them, and me personaly hate the idea of a metal cold air intake, it just makes sense that plastic stays cooler and suffers from way less heat soak, and the demolet comes with 100mm abs plastic tubing and a 95mm mas, and for 100 bucks when u buy a xcal-2, i was sold and bought it there on the spot. Gave demolet my computer code and info and 3 business days later it arrived. they also offer lots of custom options such as factory matched paint, and diff color filters. Anyways i def reccomend everyone at least check this kit out before buying a cai:nice:

yeh, it definiteley looks like a good setup. the one thing i like better is the racer system is a one piece tube whereas the jlt and demolet are 2 piece with the rubber connector to the TB. Your system is nice, be sure to post the dyno up. you went what, 265 stock or something?

yeh, it definiteley looks like a good setup. the one thing i like better is the racer system is a one piece tube whereas the jlt and demolet are 2 piece with the rubber connector to the TB. Your system is nice, be sure to post the dyno up. you went what, 265 stock or something?

Yeah 263rwhp bone stock, i am getting her dyno'd again tommorow and will have the new numbers with 87oct tune up in the evening. I'm also thinking about then switching to premium gas and loading the 93oct tune but im not sure i can justify the $ for the additional dyno just to find this difference between the octane in the tunes, but im thinkin about it:nice:

Thanks for all the info! I think I'm pretty much sold on the tuner option. Now I just need to decide: C&L, JLT, or Demolet. Has anyone ever got the custom paint to match your stock color on the JLT or at least seen pictures? I'm wondering how good the paint job looks and how well it matches.