Some help on picking a color for your car

redstang80

Sep 21, 2008
Hello everyone,

I was painting my mustang recently and had the trouble of finding a satisfying color for it. I noticed when looking around, there are not a whole lot of ways to look at car colors other than to go to a auto paint shop and look thru pages of colors and try to imagine the paint chip on a car. After enough searching
, I found a decent way to pick a color and thought I would pass it on here for those who need a way to look at colors.

First, go to this website
CarpaintOnline - Search By Car Color
this website lists colors of cars dating back to the early 1900s, along with their PPG color codes. When you get to the page, there is a section at the top of the page titled "By color." In that space, click the "car" button and put a general color name into the search box (such as red, green, yellow) and hit search. Below the box, it will list all the different types and shades of that color from the early 1900s until now. When you get this list, go to google pictures and type the name of the color into the search engine. The pictures that come up will be cars that are painted that color, giving you an idea of what that color would look like on a car. I would set some time aside to do this because there are quite a few color choices that are listed. Once you pick a few colors, take the paint code and name of the color to a PPG distributor and have them look up the code. From there, they will be able to give you a price on that paint.

A word of caution, beware of motorcycle paint colors, they are very, very expensive.

I know this works as I used this process to find the color of my mustang, so the codes are authentic.

• Sponsors (?)