Some long-term thinking...

bryan0

Jun 9, 2005
Bethel, CT
Okay I'm kind of taking this opportunity to think aloud. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do with my car. I'm turning 19 in a month, and one day I want to have my car be fast enough to run low 10's and not need to worry about ANYthing on the street, including those darn turbo Supras.

Right now I have a 99GT with a MPH Vortech sq mongoose kit, mph powerpipe, plenum, tb, and a mac catback as far as the engine goes. Prior to the powerpipe install, the car made 358whp on the dyno.

I'd like the car to be somewhere around 650whp. Here are my questions:
Would this be enough power to do <10.50?
If I just got a forged short block, traded the sq for a t-trim and got a smaller pulley, would that be enough? Or do I need heads too?

If your goal was to take a 358whp stock-engined GT and make it fast, what would you do, what's the cheapest way?

I know i seem kind of all over the place, but any input is very appreciated, thanks guys :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

im new to the modular scene but what i've learned so far is that you have to have a good platform to go anywhere. From what i've seen, a 10 second 2v isnt going to be very streetable. is this going to be a Daily driver?

Perfect. A confused young man all over the place for our organization. Have you ever thought about a career in the Armed Forces? We got boats, planes, trucks, bombs, and guns. No need to send your home address, we traced your IP address, and are sending a recruiter over there now. See you in Kabul comrade!
I actually work at an armed forces equipment manufacturer and go to UCONN full time. And good luck, i use a proxy ****** :lol:
Let me know when you learn something about cars, maybe you help me out.

how about fully forging the motor and throwing the giggle juice to it when needed. that way your not putting stress on it constantly.
I thought about that, but decided I'd like to stay the supercharge-only route. But then again...

Any other suggestions?

Your going to need:
Ported heads prob stage 3
Really good cams
Forged short block
alot of boost
driver mod
And oh did I mention a LOT OF MONEY

I highly doubt it will be a good DD.

I'd invest the $$ you would have blown on the car and buy something nice later on down the road. You already have 358rwhp be happy:D your in school and only 19

Long term thinking.... when you get older you might smarten up and not look to beat ANYTHING on the street. Bring it to the track like everyone else. Street racing is for teenagers and buffoons

I'd like the car to be somewhere around 650whp. Here are my questions:
Would this be enough power to do <10.50?
If I just got a forged short block, traded the sq for a t-trim and got a smaller pulley, would that be enough? Or do I need heads too?

I've seen guys run mid-10's with about 100rwhp less than that, so yes 650rwhp will cover it. That being said, you're not going to get it with just a forged short block, a blower swap and pulley swap. You'll have to address your entire fuel and ignition systems as well as upgrade several components on the intake and exhaust ends. You're still a solid $10,000 away from accomlishing mid-10-second times my friend. :D

Long term thinking.... when you get older you might smarten up and not look to beat ANYTHING on the street. Bring it to the track like everyone else. Street racing is for teenagers and buffoons

True... I don't really street race like I used to. It's fun to make a couple of "runs" with older gentlmen in Maserati's on the street but nothing like I used to.

I'd start with suspension and drivetrain, and keep your existing power for the time being. My reasoning? Your gonna need the suspension anyway, if you EVER plan on getting that kind of power to hook up. If you can get it to hook up, your going to cut your 1/4 mile drastically.

I saw that you had "suspension" in your sig, but that could just be springs for all we know.

If you can run mid to high 11's, and are still not happy, then come back. 11.5's to 10.5's in the 1/4 is a HUGE difference my friend, and the money and driveability follows suit. Most people are happy with low 12's to high 11's.