Some questions about TwEECing my '94 Cobra

Hi all, I don't ever really post much on this forum, but it seems like a good place to ask some questions. I've got a 94 Cobra and a Tweecer RT. I'm using the CBAZA/J4J1. The motor has been rebuilt (306), has some aftermarket cam in it (no idea which one though), 24lb injectors (that's stock right?), ProM MAF, Prof. Products TB, some crappy shorty headers and x-pipe, and flows. AC, Smog, EGR deletes too. The MAF says Pro FLow, Professional Flow Technologies. In the MODEL box it says, 75mm 19cxm. In the CALIBRATION box it says 19cxm. I can't make out the X character.....looks like either a C, G, maybe a O. I believe the MAF I picked in Tweecer was just Prom_19.maf.

So far I have loaded the MAF transfer for my meter from the files in Tweecer, changed CID, changed idle, rev limiters, speed limiters, took care of the smog/egr crap, pulled the SPOUT and set the timing to 10, and I think that's it. I've read SOOO much stuff now about the Tweecer and all that. I'm kind of tired of reading and was just ready to ask some of my own questions. Nothing I read really pinpointed what I"m looking for.

Well I'm trying to fix my idle problems and really get everything dialed in. I was messing with the ISC neutral airflow trying to help the idle. The ISC duty cycle is around 40-55% and I was trying to get it around 35 or so. I got to thinking though, and it is pointless to mess with that when I haven't verified that my MAF transfer is correct. The MAF transfer is pretty much the first thing that has to be dialed in, in order for anything else to be correct......right?? How can I verify that it IS correct?

Other things I've noticed......at idle, the car will go into closed loop, LAMBSE 1 & 2 will slowly creep down and stop at something like 10.90, then the car will idle pretty decent for a minute or two, then the RPMs will raise to about 1100, it'll go into OL and LAMBSEs jump back to 14.xx, then goes back into CL and repeats. I have the idle set to 750 and it generally hovers around 800-850, not sure if that's normal.

Also it seems like if I tap the gas, it doesn't respond until about a second later, then the RPMs jump up much higher than expected. What else.......idle hangs around 1500-2000 quite often until I come to a complete stop. Sometimes it feels like it's hanging while in gear.....feels like a cruise control and I can take my foot off the gas. Cold starts it doesn't like to idle at all. KAMRFs I've noticed always go above 1 when they do change. Based on the KAMRFs and LAMBSEs, if I'm getting all this correct, the car is lean so it's commanding richer mixtures to try to compensate, correct?

I'm just really not sure where to start since it seems like so many things are acting based on data from other things. I'm also not sure about how to set spark. I mean I've read tons of crap about HOW, but I guess it's figuring out how much spark I want a certain rpm/load. How are spark figures determined I guess. Advance it everywhere till you hear detonation then back off?? That really doesn't sound like a great way to go about it.

Anywho right now I just want to fix the idle drivability issues. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the long post, too.

-Blaise

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all, I don't ever really post much on this forum, but it seems like a good place to ask some questions. I've got a 94 Cobra and a Tweecer RT. I'm using the CBAZA/J4J1. The motor has been rebuilt (306), has some aftermarket cam in it (no idea which one though), 24lb injectors (that's stock right?), ProM MAF, Prof. Products TB, some crappy shorty headers and x-pipe, and flows. AC, Smog, EGR deletes too. The MAF says Pro FLow, Professional Flow Technologies. In the MODEL box it says, 75mm 19cxm. In the CALIBRATION box it says 19cxm. I can't make out the X character.....looks like either a C, G, maybe a O. I believe the MAF I picked in Tweecer was just Prom_19.maf.

If you don't make much progress fairly quickly with the info I've provided here,
I'd put your stock maf back on and see if things settle down.

So far I have loaded the MAF transfer for my meter from the files in Tweecer, changed CID, changed idle, rev limiters, speed limiters, took care of the smog/egr crap, pulled the SPOUT and set the timing to 10, and I think that's it. I've read SOOO much stuff now about the Tweecer and all that. I'm kind of tired of reading and was just ready to ask some of my own questions. Nothing I read really pinpointed what I"m looking for.

I know you tired of reading :bang:
but
That is how you teach yourself :D
and
Speaking of reading ;)

This will help you with neurtral idle airflow and isc duty cycle :nice:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=579887&highlight=isc+duty+cycle

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=610728&highlight=isc+duty+cycle

Well I'm trying to fix my idle problems and really get everything dialed in. I was messing with the ISC neutral airflow trying to help the idle. The ISC duty cycle is around 40-55% and I was trying to get it around 35 or so. I got to thinking though, and it is pointless to mess with that when I haven't verified that my MAF transfer is correct. The MAF transfer is pretty much the first thing that has to be dialed in, in order for anything else to be correct......right?? How can I verify that it IS correct?

First thing here is this ......

Set your idle scalar to 850 or 900 rpm until your tune becomes more stable :)
Trust Me ;) This will save you a lot of heartache and grief :bang:

Yes ... everything is built upon the maf curve
and
EA can help you with that

Other things I've noticed......at idle, the car will go into closed loop, LAMBSE 1 & 2 will slowly creep down and stop at something like 10.90, then the car will idle pretty decent for a minute or two, then the RPMs will raise to about 1100, it'll go into OL and LAMBSEs jump back to 14.xx, then goes back into CL and repeats. I have the idle set to 750 and it generally hovers around 800-850, not sure if that's normal.

L's that fat indicate you are too lean
L's are the commanded ratio ... NOT the true ratio ... btw

Also it seems like if I tap the gas, it doesn't respond until about a second later, then the RPMs jump up much higher than expected. What else.......idle hangs around 1500-2000 quite often until I come to a complete stop. Sometimes it feels like it's hanging while in gear.....feels like a cruise control and I can take my foot off the gas. Cold starts it doesn't like to idle at all. KAMRFs I've noticed always go above 1 when they do change. Based on the KAMRFs and LAMBSEs, if I'm getting all this correct, the car is lean so it's commanding richer mixtures to try to compensate, correct?

Hanging idle and that other stuff is a result of your pcm values and real world conditions from the hot rod parts not matching

For help ... Look at
1) tb airflow scalar
2) neutral idle airflow function
3) mechanical setting of the tb blade stop screw
4) tb blead screw

I'm just really not sure where to start since it seems like so many things are acting based on data from other things. I'm also not sure about how to set spark. I mean I've read tons of crap about HOW, but I guess it's figuring out how much spark I want a certain rpm/load. How are spark figures determined I guess. Advance it everywhere till you hear detonation then back off?? That really doesn't sound like a great way to go about it.

Anywho right now I just want to fix the idle drivability issues. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the long post, too.

-Blaise

Again ... Sorry about the additional reading :rlaugh:
thats just something we all had to go through to get proficient ;)

This should help you a bit on your mission to find some relief Blaise :D

btw ... there is some basic stuff on my site that may help you :shrug:

Grady

Sorry to bring back a dead thread. Grady, I really appreciate your help and am sorry I didn't acknowledge that when you replied to this. I read all the things you directed me to over and over and over again. Shortly after I posted this thread, I trashed my T5. I finally got the car back on the road yesterday with a new TKO600, Fidanza flywheel, new clutch, TOB, aluminum d/s, LT headers and X-pipe.

I am still having the same hanging rpm problems. I downloaded EEC Analyzer and sent Clint $55 to register the program and I tried and tried to get it to work on my ancient laptop. I figured EA could help me get this thing running right. A good friend of mine that's into computers checked it out for me and said my laptop can't even support EA. I emailed Clint telling him this and asking if there's someway we can work out a refund, and he replied, telling me EA will work on it and he is willing to help me. He asked me for some info about my laptop. So I went to fire up my laptop today so I could get the system info for him and now the damn thing won't even turn on even with the battery charger hooked up. This really ticks me off cause that's the computer I have my Tweecer on and use to modify my tune. I'm getting so fed up with this car. I have never come across anything so damn finicky. I tell you if I had the money I'd rip all this EFI garbage off and put a trusty carb on it. At least that's something I know how to work. It's not that I'm a total retard either and don't understand EFI. I understand it very well and learned about it in detail in school. I also tuned a 2000 GT in school using the SCT Pro Racer Package and it was not nearly this ridiculous.

I'm basically just ranting because everytime I try make any progress with this car, I get **** after **** after ****. If anyone can help me before I start setting fire to things, I'd appreciate it.

-Blaise

Sorry to see you having those issues :(

If by chance you are using one of those adapters you plug in the cig lighter
to power your laptop ............

I tried that once when my battery was completely dead.

I found if you had the laptop running and started the car ... the laptop went
dead and did the reboot thing :bang:

I run an old Toshiba laptop with Win 98se :)

Works fine for me.

If you need to find a different laptop, I'd bet Clint will help you out as he is
a pretty nice guy. I worked with him on some beta software a good while
back. He was always doing what ever was needed to make everything
good to go.

Don't give up man ... You just got to get your equipment all setup ;)

I do confess to not using the latest & greatest software stuff
but
Hey ... We got lots of Tweecer folk here these days :nice:

Fire off some specific Q's ... I bet you get some help :Word:

Grady