Some real competition for the Cobra

svtguy said:
Nice engine....I really like how GM has used fake valve covers to try to make it look like it has DOHC.:rlaugh:

Nice try. I think we have had this discussion before. They cover the coil pack and valve covers to give it a clean look! Get over yourself and your little DOHC motor. If GM wanted a DOHC engine, it would be made already. Remember, GM made DOHC motor before the stang's motor came out (LT5 ZR1 Motor). They dont need to copy.

• Sponsors (?)

RealQuick said:
Nice try. I think we have had this discussion before. They cover the coil pack and valve covers to give it a clean look! Get over yourself and your little DOHC motor. If GM wanted a DOHC engine, it would be made already. Remember, GM made DOHC motor before the stang's motor came out (LT5 ZR1 Motor). They dont need to copy.

Umm...GM didn't have much to do the the design or the manufacturing of the ZR1's DOHC motor....as it was all out sourced.:notnice:

Z28x said:
S/C 4.6L is a great engine.

To answer you question about HP, they said it added 116rwhp (based on 7 psi on other LS1s) I'd expect 1/4mi. times in the mid 12's

Mid 12s?? I think that's more than a tad conservative. Don't know much the GTO weighs over the F-body, but if its anywhere close, than they should run low13s/ high 12s NA. I would think solid 11s would be more of a realistic guess, but whatever...

We'll just have to wait and see...

Jon

02LS1 said:
Increased size?

So I guess GM should just throw the 5.7 in the garbage and start making smaller, more technologically advanced motors becuase Ford chose to do so? GM has been using the "350" for decades...it's not like they just started making them. It's worked (and still does) very well...so if it ain't broke...

You prefer the 4.6, that's fine. It's a great motor but IMO so is the LS1/LS6/LS2.

Let me clarify. I am very fond of the LS1. I think it's a great engine. Ford could just as easily just go ahead and design a big displacement engine.....anyone could. I admire the fact that Ford decided to focus more on the technological aspect of making power as opposed to the size aspect. I see the 281ci. 4.6L DOHC 4V motor thats in the 01 Cobra (for example) making 270-290rwhp on average and the big 346ci. 5.7L OHV LS1's making 290-310rwhp on average. That fact that Ford makes, on average, only 20 less rwhp with 65ci. less is pretty impressive if you ask me.

1/4 Mile Style said:
Mid 12s?? I think that's more than a tad conservative. Don't know much the GTO weighs over the F-body, but if its anywhere close, than they should run low13s/ high 12s NA. I would think solid 11s would be more of a realistic guess, but whatever...

We'll just have to wait and see...

Jon

The GTO's are currently running high 13's. They aren't as stout as the FBodies. I don't see it breaking into the 12's even with that blower :shrug:

RealQuick said:

Isn't the northstar engine pretty close in design to the Ford dohc 4.6's?

Volldamort said:
The GTO's are currently running high 13's. They aren't as stout as the FBodies. I don't see it breaking into the 12's even with that blower :shrug:

The GTO's run mid 13's @ 104 all day according to the mags that have crappy drivers. Strap that blower on and that car will trap 114-115 all day long. You telling me it wont get into the 12's with that mph? I had no traction at the track and ran a 12.5 @ 114 w/2.07 60'. That GTO will put more power to the ground then I did when I went to the track.

RealQuick said:
The GTO's run mid 13's @ 104 all day according to the mags that have crappy drivers. Strap that blower on and that car will trap 114-115 all day long. You telling me it wont get into the 12's with that mph? I had no traction at the track and ran a 12.5 @ 114 w/2.07 60'. That GTO will put more power to the ground then I did when I went to the track.

Yeah, thats what I'm saying :nice:

RealQuick said:

It's really hard to say what the car will/won't do. You have different weight, different gearing, temp, altitude... the only consitent fact we know about magasines is that they are never right... I've seen cars overrated and underrated alike. I'm sure we can put together an alogarithm for this specific car and then use the output of that SC to calculate the new times... but we need more data. Heck, that thing could be a slug without changing the internals and upping the boost... or it could run over vettes... we just don't know.

Friedchicken said:
It's really hard to say what the car will/won't do. You have different weight, different gearing, temp, altitude... the only consitent fact we know about magasines is that they are never right... I've seen cars overrated and underrated alike. I'm sure we can put together an alogarithm for this specific car and then use the output of that SC to calculate the new times... but we need more data. Heck, that thing could be a slug without changing the internals and upping the boost... or it could run over vettes... we just don't know.

Who knows what ET it will run, but it will not be a slug with a blower. There is no such thing as a a blown LS1 slug, despite its weight. It will run over C5's all day, but the C6 would be a good match. Cant wait to see some numbers, and I hope Evan Smith tests the thing.