Some Tire Help.

rabidscoobie

10 Year Member
Jun 21, 2007
College Station,TX
Im thinking of buying a new set of tires.I currently have 275/40/17 Fuzion ZRi's and they suck....very slippery...came on the car when I got it.Normally I buy BfGoodrich Kd's or Kumho's before on my GT and liked them,but it looks like tires have really gone up in price...hadnt bought tires in 3 years.

So what are some descent tires for around $1250$150 per tire.Heres some I was looking at but have never owned any....and of course the Kumhos and any BFgood's.

Firestone Firehawk GT
Goodyear Eagle GT(had goodyears on my truck and they all eventully had blowouts....is this a goodyear thing?)
Yokohoma
NITTO, NT555 NTO-255/40/17A Im thinking of these

I want descent wet and dry traction and a descent tread life....and Im also not hard on tires either.So im open for some opinions.

• Sponsors (?)

Ive had Kumho 712's , good , BFG g-force sport, better, and now Yokohama
S-drive, even better. Great wet dry traction and quiet.

DSCN0062.jpg
[/IMG]

Thx for the reply.
Those have some nice treads.you have some miles on them?How are they holding up?
Ive been thinking of some Yoko's or the Nittos but ive never owned a set of either so I dont knowhow they are.
The Fuzion ZRi's I have now are the worst tires I have ever had,If i downshift at 60mph.....ill be sideways before I know...seriously....:nono:

Sumitomo htrz's...... I's are good, II's a bit better but more expensive. Think they are 80 a tire for 275/40 17s. Have ran them a few times now and will be putting them on this car this spring. Pulled 1.95 60's with them and 25psi. Got 10k out out of them with a lot of burn outs and 100 track runs.

Thx for the reply.
Those have some nice treads.you have some miles on them?How are they holding up?
Ive been thinking of some Yoko's or the Nittos but ive never owned a set of either so I dont knowhow they are.
The Fuzion ZRi's I have now are the worst tires I have ever had,If i downshift at 60mph.....ill be sideways before I know...seriously....:nono:

Ive got about 15k on them, wearing perfect with rotation, I estimate that
I will get about 25k out of them.

my 275/40/17 nt555's were 130ea, i never had issues with fuzions on my gt though.. hmm

Ill say this about Fuzion.They ride very good, and quiet.when they do break loose you cant hear any squeals....hell you dont even know sometimes they have broke loose until the ass end is in the lane next to you.
Normal granny driving just fine,but if I pull away with just a lil extra throttle tthey will spin and I dont like getting on the on ramp and down shift to get on the hwy and the rear come loose at 60+mph.

Ive been thinking og the Nittos,since i can get the 255's from Late model Resto for $137 each and I live just over and hour away from them,I even have familly there so I can make a whole trip out of it.How do yours handle...good trac. and wear?Normally I only need to buy tires every 2 yrs or so with the Kumho r BFGood's.

Thx for the replies.

Also where did you get your 275's that cheap?Locale or web order?

The Fuzion's on my car have been the best tire on my Mustang. Being in FL, I wanted a summer tire that was cheaper yet higher quality. I had Kumho's and Toyo's on my Camaros' and they were a much better ride quality and handling, but if it were to rain, the thing would feel like slicks in rain and I would be spinning out all the time babying my old '91 Camaro with a 355/M5. These Fuzion's are the best wet traction summer tire I have had, and in FL, I will be sticking with them on my current Mustang...

Thx for the replies.

I was always told that summer tires wouldnt last as long,thats why I was asking.But where I live it hasnt iced over in....I dunno.....4yrs.And if it did ice or snow im not gonna drive the mach,Ill drive the wife's Taurus...:rolleyes:

As for the Fuzion ZRi's...:nono:...my 2nd gear hates them....just will not plant them at half throttle even...rain forget about it.Not a bad tire I guess for the $$$ but I would rather spend a bit more for traction.The dealer put them on in April 08 and they are now at the tread bar and I havnt even driven it in 7weeks.Thats from normal driving.

Kumho's did better in the rain on the stang and BFGood's were even better.
Now I have owned several of those 3rd gen camaros....and you cant compare the handling in rain with these stangs.I dont care what tire those camaros had,they would hydro,spin and anything else to put you in a ditch.I always had to keep it under 55mph in the rain.

Im looking to either get the Yoko s-drive,Nitto 555...ive just never had either.