Someone Please Clarify

TurboE

Jan 20, 2004
I am not sure if this is correct or not, but does the 05 Mustang GT have forged pistons or not. For some reason I thought I read on this site that they are not forged (???). If they are not forged does anyone know the limitation on boost (HP increase) that can be added from a supercharger. Just curious, and if they are not forged is there a way we can get the word out to ford to make them forged. If I remember correctly didn't the 5.0L HO engines have forged pistons. Thanks in advance.......

• Sponsors (?)

Ford's literature talks only about the connecting rods- "powdered metal"- which has been standard on the 4.6 as far as I know for awhile. I don't think the pistons are forged or they would talk about it. People tell me that the connecting rods are a weak link in this engine if you run hard for a long stretch, getting it hot. How about some experts?

The pistons are not forged they are hypereutectic pistons,ford changed from the forged pistons in 1993 in the 5.0 to try to lighten up the rotating ass.I am not sure if they went back to forged in the 4.6 as I have not done much with that motor.

Thanks for the info, anyone know anymore about the subject. I noticed that some of the SEMA stangs had superchargers on them, any thoughts as to what kind of boost/power could be bolted on without changing internals.............

You can't make gross generalizations like that. No one can sit here and say "the pistons are good for this much" and "the rods are good for that much" power. It's just not that simple.

There's 400 proper, reliable horsepower, and there's 400 bad, dirty horsepower. Bad tune, too hot, too lean, whatever. My point is that you will easily see someone pushing 400hp very reliably on the stock bottom end, while at the same time, you'll see some fool who blows his up while making only 350hp.

I will say that with a proper build and tune, the bottom end will easily hold 400-450+hp. Don't know what you're doing, and you can blow it up at 350.

With a proper build, as the power is increased, the powdered rods will be the first part to go. Replace the rods, and the pistons will be the next weakest link. Replace those, and the crank will be the next part to go, followed lastly by the block.