Son of a $@&%^#@^&%

rugster

Aug 31, 2004
Well I went to pick my car up today from the body shop. They painted my hood, front bumper, front quarter, passenger door, and A pillar. They fixed all the damage from when my car was broken into just a few weeks back. She looked beautiful and pristine, so I hop in the car and head on home to wax her up. Well I merge on the freeway and POW!!!! THEY DIDNT CLOSE THE HOOD! It flies backwards and comes through my friggin windshield. I stick my head out the window and "ace ventura" drive so I can see to pull over. I was furious to say the least....I called the shop and they sent a wrecker and they are fixing all of the repairs (obviously). But man I'm down, I've only driven the car like 5 times in the last 8 months...this sucks:mad:

rant over...

• Sponsors (?)

Correct, the car was parked facing away from me so I didn't walk up on it from the front, and I was more concerned with the new window molding and painted door because thats where the original damage was. And the shop is going to do me a few favors, he is fixing my door hinge that squeaks, and doing a custom paint scheme on the new hood free of charge. I am just more upset because I had just gotten the car back 5 minutes earlier and if I would have gotten it home, when I went to wash it I would have noticed it wasn't latched. It was pushed down, but wasn't clicked into place. We checked and the lock, and safety catch both still work properly....

this needs moved to talk, my bad.

dang man, sorry to hear that..glad they're fixing it! might be a good idea to check the hood latch from now anytime the car stays with someone for work.

I agree, and I am also thinking about getting hood pins. I know some people dont like them, but after an experience like that, I would rather not go through it again.

They painted my hood...She looked beautiful and pristine...

You didn't notice your hood wasn't latched?

Agreed...You looked the car over, including the hood, but you didn't notice the hood was popped? Sorry man, but you really should have noticed the hood was not latched (although they should have never given you the car this way either) - I hope they take care of you.

Yup, at least they are taking care of it for you.

I'm surprised the saftey didn't even work. On my stangs, you can't even set the hood down without the saftey engaging. I've had the hood release pop a few times while driving, but thankfully the saftey worked.

I had the hood pop up on me on my old camry, it was scary as hell to say the least. I got hit in a parking lot and thought that the hood was latched down tight enough to drive on the freeway, and as soon as I got to like 55 or 60mph the hood flew up and then poof...it was gone, flew over the roof. It landed on the freeway a solid (what felt like) 3 seconds later then rolled off the road. It is seriously like what you would see in a movie. That is the best way I can describe it. Good thing you are ok, and make sure that the body shop makes things right.

I could understand not seeing it poped,on my other one I could pull the latch and you couldnt see any difference,I had to actully pull up on the hood then relese the safety catch,but still think the safety should have worked.

Also I thought you are not suppose to use waxes or car washes for like 90 days on new paint,I only mention it since you used those words.When my other was painted they told me only a very mild detergent and hand wash for 90 days and NO WAXES at all,something about staining...:shrug:

I don't know about the staining part, but you do want to let the paint properly dry. It actually takes months for the paint to fully dry and wax will seal it.

Also I thought you are not suppose to use waxes or car washes for like 90 days on new paint,I only mention it since you used those words.When my other was painted they told me only a very mild detergent and hand wash for 90 days and NO WAXES at all,something about staining...:shrug:

I could understand not seeing it poped,on my other one I could pull the latch and you couldnt see any difference,I had to actully pull up on the hood then relese the safety catch,but still think the safety should have worked.

I asked the painter this and he said I needed to put one initial coat of good wax on because it still has swirls from being buffed. And in a month the car was going back to have a custom horse put on. He paints cars for SEMA so I am sure he knows more than I do. And my hood has always been the same way, if you pop it, you dont notice until you lift it.

OK, I work with many different body shops.

The rule of thumb is no washing for 7 days (rain is OK, just no soaps, detergents, abrasives or scrubbing), Also, no waxing for 30 days. This lets the paint cure properly. Your paint needs to breathe.