Sound deadening install questions

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I was wondering if anyone who has gone through the process of installing sound deadening into their classic could share what they did/learned.

First... if anyone knows the proper amount of insulation for a classic (square footage), I'd like to know so I order the right amount. I'm not planning on doing the headliner, but I do plan on doing everything else.

Second... as far as general install goes... any tips? Whats the proper method of applying deadening around speakers (i've herad you need certain glues, etc)? How do you deal with round/irregular surfaces? How do I ensure I get that solid 'thunk' when I close my door?

Also... how are people installing their subwoofers? I have a sheet of aluminum between the trunk and the back seat (protection incase of fire). I was planning on cutting a hole in that just big enough for a sub box, and letting the sub fire through the back seat (not sure where in the cabin you'd have space to actually mount a sub... and would rather it not just sit in the trunk rattling everything).

• Sponsors (?)

Surprisingly, perhaps, the original soundproofing was actually pretty good. Of course, by now, typically it's missing. A 66 coupe would have a thick firewall pad, under carpet pat, kick panel pads, roof pads, quarter trim pads, under rear seat pad, behind seat pad, C pillar roof pads, under package tray pad, and top of gas tank pad. Not to mention the thick undercoating-like soundproofing sprayed on the inside surface of the doors and quarter panels. You put all that, which was probably ripped out by a teenager who wanted to hear his Cherry Bombs better back in '75, and these things get quite quiet inside. The good news is all this stuff is available new, die-cut, and ready to install. Not even expensive.

I bought my stuff from RAAMaudio as the product came highly recommended by numerous members from this board and others. Rick, the owner of the business, was great in helping me determine exactly what I needed for my '65 coupe.

I also have welded the metal panel between my rear seat and the trunk. Rick recommended firing the subs up through the rear package tray into the passenger compartment. A custom box will need to be built but this is the route that I will be taking.

Chris