source for 8" trac-lock limited slip carrier?

bwiencek

Founding Member
Aug 21, 2000
Kansas City, MO USA
Looking at the "automotive recyclers" (AKA Junk yards) I have run across a lot of open 8" carriers but have yet to find a used limited slip carrier on anything. Does anyone know what models might have came with the limited slip rear in them or another source to find used limited slips for the 8" rear? I've checked the big auction sites and classified sites and didn't find any used ones. I've seen new no-name ones for $325-375 but I'd rather have a factory unit that I can rebuild with new clutches and bearings and know exactly what I've got...

Anyone know where a stock 8" limited slip carrier that might be for sale is?

Anyone have any feedback on the no-name units from folks on ebay and such?

• Sponsors (?)

The 8 inch are much less common for some reason, and therefore harder to find. The name brands apply for both 8 and 9 inch models. Where have you seen a "no name" for 325? That's not a bad price. If it was an Ebay seller, check there feedback, that should tell you if they are any good or not.

There were a lot of 8" Traction-Lok rears in 75-78 Mustang II V8 models. Not much help if the yards in your area don't keep old cars.

Currie makes their own 4-pinion 8" Traction-Lok in high-tensile steel. No doubt stronger than many factory 9" rears.

Here's the one I looked at ($320+~13 ship):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370603385708

Seeming more and more like a decent deal considering how hard the dang things are to track down... I've done R&P setups before on a lot of 9" in the circle track cars that I've raced so the 8" should be a piece of cake just to swap the carrier into it and set the backlash. The engine only makes right at 312hp and figure with the C4 and a 3.00 gear it should be OK on the street and highway.