Spark plug Color - Pure White????

zidane45

Dec 26, 2003
charleston,SC
I have 6 spark splugs 123478 that the porcelain portion that is in the cylinder is pure white, not the nice light orange like it should be. I think it may be spark issues. They used to be the right color. Is this too much fuel?

• Sponsors (?)

That doesn't help much because none of those match up with my problem. It seems like the fuel isn't igniting well or something and its just going through the cylinders and cleaning them out. Because like I said the plugs used to orange and now they look like they've been bleached.

My plugs are NGK iridiums so they come pregapped. Would bad wires cause this color? I put on new P.D. wires and all with the motor this spring. Only have about 4000 miles on em. I used dialectric grease and the plug side of the wire looks all dried up and kinda crusty (white). the other points are fine though. I don't know what the deal is.

On efi cars with electronic ignition it is COMPLETELY NORMAL for the plugs to look almost new = white. The car is designed to run at stoichiometric or leaner almost all the time. Nothing to worry about. I pulled the plugs on my wife's Bimmer at 60K miles to do a 'guilt' plug change. Except for the grime in the threads, you'd be hard pressed to distinguish the used ones from the new ones in the box.

It used to run awesome and all the plugs had that nice orange look. Then i replaced an injector and the MAF and it ran awesome. then it slowly went bad. the same plugs now look white. whats the deal? Would this be a lean condition then maybe like you guys say and should i get a FPR to help remedy the problem. and yes they are they are the stock heads.