Spark Plug question

MATRIX4.6

Nov 25, 2005
car has 60k and mostly bolt ons and breenspeed/bamachip tunes available via X3. With both tunes 91 octane of course, I get pinging between 4-6k at wot. I haved tried backing out timing but no luck.

• Sponsors (?)

so my questions are is there another variable to adjust that would eliminate that ping. I have tried going as far as -8 retard for the 4-8k parameter...Or is this a sign that its time for new plugs. By the way this is beyond poor quality fuel and a dirty air filter both systems are cleaned regularly and the car has only tasted Shell or Chevron 91 octane.

If i do plugs will the HTO have any neg affects on a non blow engine? Thanks in advance for any clarity...

I was just logging on to ask about spark plugs as getting ready to swap mine out.

For a car with basic bolt ons, which plugs would be recommended? Car only has 26k miles but I don't want the dreaded spark plug breakage....

I was thinking of the Brisk plugs, talked to two local shops and they both recommended them. Is that good? It's about $130 for the set.....

Any tips or suggestions before changing them? I know to have the car cold.....

I'm no tuner, but could be a slightly lean issue and you could try adding a little more fuel at that RPM range to see if the problem gets any better. I would contact your tuner to be sure.