Spec clutch burning, vibrating

SickCylinder

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2001
Queens, NY
I decided to install a Spec stage 1 and after a few minutes driving, I'm starting to regret it. It's real touchy, first off. It doesn't want to do low mph's. Forwards or backwards, if you need to inch along, it burns and rattles the pedal.

I'm taking it in to the shop in the morning and hope they can fine tune it or something, but I'm afraid I'm assed-out on $800 bucks.

I shoulda just paid those evil bastards at ford for a factory clutch.

I hope I have a happy story to tell tomorrow. I'm going down there first thing in the a.m.

Anyone else have this experience?

• Sponsors (?)

I just had the same problem with the SPEC stage 1. When starting from a dead stop in forward or reverse the car shuddered like you wouldn't beleive. I took it straight to the shop and had it pulled and the found a "hot spot" on the pressure plate and the flywheel in corresponding spots. Plus the fingers on the pressure plate were all out of whack. The clutch only had 15 miles on it! Could it be a bad lot of SPEC clutches? When and where did you buy yours? Now I had the guys at the shop put in a Ford Motorsport clutch in and had similar problems but no where near the extreme as the SPEC. Now its got me thinking that the SPEC could have bent something? I'm at a loss.

I'm hoping this is the deal:

I'm being told by the guys at the Tranny shop that the noise and buring is normal for the first few hundred miles because of the clutch being at 100% clamp pressure for now.

He said that you have to let it work itself in a bit before it will settle down.

I'm going to put it through some stop and go madness for a few days and see what happens.

SpectorV said:
if you dont drag it or plan to then an oem is for you :)

Before anyone takes this to heart, this is innacurrate.

Now at 400miles on the Spec Stage 1 clutch, I find her almost completely agreeable. It is damn near like the oem version.

The super-light pedal feel is gone, replaced by a nice springy action that allows for smooth engagement during parking and the like,

the on/off feeling of the clutch is gone, now giving me smooth degrees for city traffic, etc.

The only problem left is a vibrating clutch pedal at certain rpms. I'm confident that the tranny shop can adjust that little annoyance away.

After 500 miles, I plan to bang on it same as the oem version, but I expect that this one will take a beating with a little more flair.

So, if you get a Spec Stage 1: Prepare for a little shock in the beginning if you've never replaced a clutch before. It will feel scary and unwise.

Give it time, put it through the granny-test around town for at least a week and then things should be just fine.

I can't vouch for the street-ability of the Stage 2, but the Stage 1 is ok by me.