Spec stage 2+ or 3?

32785stang

Nov 23, 2006
Im trying to figure out what spec clutch to get... they guy told me the stage 3 is crazy and that i should get the stage 2+... im gunna have around 400 rwhp and spray a 175 shot now and then.... any input? anyone have the stage 3 and hate it?

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know how much help this is...but i run a stage II and i love it. The pedal action is very precise...almost hydaulic in action and the grip is insane. The pedal is definately heavier than stock but it certainly doesnt bother me. Stage III im sure will be even more of a lightswitch than mine is. What is the intended use of the car? street or strip?

Mostly street use....ill bring it to the track every couple weeks.....spec said the stage 2+ is almos as good as the stage 3 but is WAY better on the street (has the pedal feel of the stage 2)

The Stage 2 grabs like instantly..... You gotta be makin some serious power to mess up that clutch. A stage 3 is more for the track car or if your making HUGE numbers. I'd say stick with the stage 2 unless your shootin for 5-6-7 hundred hp:D

Spec claims that the stage II is good for 520 ft-lbs...the stage II+ is good for 620 ft-lbs and the stage III will hold 680 ft-lb. I figure your setup will be making at least 550 ft-lbs on the nitrous. The stage II+ is actually more expensive than the stage III so its a toss up. I would just go with the stage III...just beware it will be a lightswitch!

I think it depends on how hard the car hooks at the track and how you launch it. My 3+ didn't hold up to the abuse I gave it. My car makes around 435 rwhp and cuts 1.47 60's on a Spec Stage 3+ and weighs 3500lbs.

The stage 3 is very grabby. I have about 1000 miles on mine and it likes to chatter if i don't accelerate from a stop in a certain way. I'm tolerant with those kind of things though, so it doesn't bother me.

I have a stage 3 in my car. The clutch grabs VERY hard from what I have seen so far. I haven't been able to drive it much yet, but it seems like theres about 1/8" pedal travel from fully disengaged to fully engaged. Very tricky from a stop. I hear it gets better as it breaks in though.

Has your clutch chattered since you installed it raceoholic? I haven't experienced any from my stage 3 yet.

i hate spec clutches in general myself. i had a stage 1 in my stock 97 cobra and it was a PITA to drive on the street. you could beat on it and it was fine but god forbid you want to take off normally, it chattered like a SOB.

a friend of mine has a stage 2 and killed in in 4000 miles.

King Cobra FTW!

I have a stage 3 in my car. The clutch grabs VERY hard from what I have seen so far. I haven't been able to drive it much yet, but it seems like theres about 1/8" pedal travel from fully disengaged to fully engaged. Very tricky from a stop. I hear it gets better as it breaks in though.

Has your clutch chattered since you installed it raceoholic? I haven't experienced any from my stage 3 yet.

The only time it chatters bad is if I'm driving around in a parking lot in 2nd gear. It doesn't like to engage smoothly at low rpms.

He's got a TKO 500 waiting to go in. And fivespeedsteed, I was kidding about the chevy motor thing, hes got a standard bore with it just stroked to make 327 ci instead of 331. BTW Kind Cobra clutches are JUNK.

bill king cobras = JUNK,worst clutch i ever had.didnt even blow the stock one and blew the piece up with the same set up,oh and if you broke that clutch in correctly it wouldnt have chattered haha,jk