Speedo Issue - Sticking Needle

TheSalad

Aug 3, 2003
Utah
First, a little background. I have a 99+ T45 and a Dallas Mustang Extended Range SpeedCal.

My speedometer has been acting funny and has done this since before I sold the car. Sometimes it will work fine. It will show the correct speed. Other times it will stay at zero and then eventually kick up to the right speed. On the freeway, sometimes it will have the right speed, then jump up to around 90 or so. Sometimes it will drop back down to the correct speed after a while.

I noticed the last couple of times it was acting funny, I tapped with my fingertip on the plastic directly over the center of the needle, the needle would immediately go to the correct speed.

I thought for a while that maybe some of the connection on the VSS or speedcal were loose, but this makes me think that something mechanical is wrong.

Any ideas on what to do to fix this?

0812091951.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Upon further inspection, it seems that the tapping has little to no effect on the needle. I am not sure why it worked on two or three occasions earlier, but it didn't work during a battery of taps. On the freeway the needle has an affinity for something around 90mph even though I am only going 70.

Anyone have any ideas? Loose connection somewhere? Bad VSS? Bad speedometer gauge?