Spoiler removal question

Dave00GT

Aug 17, 2004
New Jersey
I just took the spoiler off of my 2000 GT. I bought a spoiler from Ebay, its a "Mach 1" style spoiler so they say, but its the same spoiler on my buddies Anniv. Mustang. It won't be here until Monday, but I installed my Chin spoiler tonight and took the rear spoiler off. I have 3 holes, all are a decent, annoying size. What is a good way to plug them up and have them look decent until I can take it to a body shop and get them done right? I will probably install the new spoiler myself, and the new spoiler may cover up two of the holes, but the other two are my concern. How much would a body shop charge to fill those holes and paint it to match?

IMO it looks awesome without the spoiler, but I can't stop focusing on the ugly holes. I've got some red plugs that will fit in there, but even if I paint them it'll look like crap. You can see pics of my car with the stock spoiler on my car domain so you know what spoiler I'm talking about. Here's a pic of the spoiler I bought for it on Ebay. I got it in gloss black to match the gloss black applique thats coming with my shaker kit. Thanks

Attachments

• spoiler.JPG
    spoiler.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Sponsors (?)

It looks like the standard GT/01 Cobra spoiler to me. The mach 1 spoiler should come flat black I think. Don't you love how people on EBay try to over state their products! :rlaugh: This is why I don't buy parts off of EBay. I saw some threads not to long ago about wing deletes and hole plugs, so you might do a search and see if you can find it.

it is the right "style" just not the same color. and he said hes getting it in black, so it pretty much is. and there is a very good thread about filling in those holes.

I dont even notice the holes on my trunk lid, well maybe I just dont care to much just like the rubber on the quarter panels. But maybe look out for a holeless take off trunk lid in the same color, maybe swap with someone with a v6 car.

Thanks for the info. Totally forgot about the thread before about the trunk holes.

I know its not a "Mach 1 spoiler", because the guy was selling them in different colors too :rlaugh: BUT, it is the same style. My hood applique for the Shaker kit is painted Gloss black, so I got the spoiler to match it. Not trying to make a fake Mach 1, I just like the retro styling. I'll have to see about those plugs, but I wonder how much a body shop would charge for that. I guess they would just fill it in with Bondo or something? :shrug:

Lowes hardware sells Hillman brand nylon hole plugs - you'll need 2X 3/8" and 2X 5/16" - they come in black or white.
You'll also want some clear silicone to seal em up.
Good bodywork ain't cheap - and remember, this isn't metal. I'm no paint and body expert (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!?!?), but I'd think bondo would shrink/crack/pop out etc. I suppose the holes could be filled properly, but I have my doubts about it being inexpensive.

codyGT said:
That is the 35th anniv. spoiler off 99 AE GT's.

Won't that mount in the same holes?

No it won't. 99-2000 (standard Mustangs) have a different spoiler that the 01+ Mustangs. However the 1999 "Limited" spoiler does not have the "character" line that the 01+ have either. Its flat.