SPRAY GUN PURCHASE

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a fan of the Devilbiss Finishline guns. They lay down a nice pattern, you can find parts anywhere and they can be found for around $100. Having said that, I frequently use spray cans for small parts like hood hinges, underhood brackets, latches, horns, starters, water pumps, even engines. As long as the parts aren't subject to weather or fluid leaks, spray cans hold up just fine.

Check the CFM requirements carefully. If I'm not mistaken, HVLP guns require more. Make sure your compressor puts out more than their minimum requirement. If you're thinking about running it off of anything other than a 220V compressor, you may run into problems.

I noticed that Summit is now selling cheap HVLP guns. I wouldn't be surprised if they work just as well as the more expensive models. The most important thing for a good paint job is the prep and work between coats getting everything perfect. I don't know anything about the Grizzly.

One way I've heard some people get around the volume requirements of an HVLP is to gang up 2 or more small compressors to get the volume you need. Some people can't easily do 220v or the $ for a nice compressor, but most anyone has a small compressor and can borrow another from a friend or relative. I haven't done this, but you could check the math of gun requirements versus what you have available.

However, after I thought about it for a while I decided that the first paint job I did myself would pay for the $800 compressor, copper lines on the wall to cool the air to make sure the moisture comes out of the air when it gets to the high volume filter and drier and the hoses, etc. I'm crazy for tools though and I love to learn how to do something new.

check the cfm requirements, not enough and it'll tend to orange peel more. astro and asturo both make a lvlp. I got a an asturo. They require less air than a hvlp, but work the same. Great for smaller parts. The down side is you get less spray out the gun, which sucks for full panel stuff. But they lay a nice flat smooth pattern.