SQ vs. S-Trim

AmBo said:
See, I wanna hear the blower. So I think I'll go with the S-Trim. I'm going to head over to MPH to try to find this video...if you know where, plz link! Thanks!

Im with you there. I want people to know that im blown, thats why im going S-trim when I get the money.

• Sponsors (?)

AmBo said:
I think I'm going to go S-Trim due to the fact that I want to actually hear my blower whine (god that sounds so perverted...).

However, here is a good questions. How difficult is it to swap from a S-Trim to a SQ-trim? Just swap the head?

It'd take maybe an hour at most, and about 2k to vortech for the new unit. I had everything off my car when I put the SQ on, and the entire install took 2 hours.

Depends upon how mechanically inclined you are. I prefer to do my own work. If you want to get crap from Tim and Andy, by all means, make the drive down and they'll give you plenty of it. Otherwise, you could have a shop up there do the install. I don't know where in NJ you are, but I know a few people in north Jersey that could do it.

The SQ has a nice little whine to it at idle and 1st/2nd to about 2000 rpms or so before it bows out to the sound of the exhaust.

I honestly wouldn't like to hear it "all the time", like a bunch of 6 year olds in the back seat, just whining and whining.... over and over, louder and LOUDER... Arghh. I can't take it anymore, MAKE THEM STOP OR I'LL...!

Sorry about that... Just a little anxiety. That's why I got the SQ.

mac1009 said:
If you want to get crap from Tim and Andy, by all means, make the drive down and they'll give you plenty of it.

Ummm...what exactly are you implying here?

Also, I know a few guys here on the boards from NJ who would probably love to help me. I'm sure I could do it myself, I just don't know if I'd have all the tools to do it.

I'd go to Tim for the MPH tune, but I could always go to JDM here in NJ for a good SCT tune...:nice:

AmBo said:
Ummm...what exactly are you implying here?

Also, I know a few guys here on the boards from NJ who would probably love to help me. I'm sure I could do it myself, I just don't know if I'd have all the tools to do it.

I'd go to Tim for the MPH tune, but I could always go to JDM here in NJ for a good SCT tune...:nice:

You'll get the tune w/ the Mongoose kit. The only kit you have to go to them to install is the KB.

As far as getting crap from Tim and Andy, they're both ball busters.

tomustang said:
JDM, mustang magic, or kauffmans will do just as good
Kauffmans :nice: Its worth the 2 hour ride...no need to drive to Georgia! If your going to pay someone to install it then there is no reason to buy the kit from MPH...you'll be wasting money on a mail order tune. Shop around for the cheapest kit you can find...ususlly a tuner kit..then you will just need a fuel pump,injectors and get a dyno tune from someone local like Kauffmans.

droptopponynj said:
Kauffmans :nice: Its worth the 2 hour ride...no need to drive to Georgia! If your going to pay someone to install it then there is no reason to buy the kit from MPH...you'll be wasting money on a mail order tune. Shop around for the cheapest kit you can find...ususlly a tuner kit..then you will just need a fuel pump,injectors and get a dyno tune from someone local like Kauffmans.

You gunna help me install it when I do it? :SNSign:

DBMSTNG said:
having had both, i highly suggest you listen to each before you decide. you have no idea just how loud the S trim is. with a 3.20" pulley, the SQ is plenty loud for me.

Got any vids? It'll be a daily driver, so I guess if the S-Trim is that loud it's out of the question. :Damnit:

I need to hear an SQ...by the way everyone talks about it...it sounds almost SILENT :shrug:

Go to kauffmans over JDM. JDM wasnt very polite or fast when working on my car. I think my car wast there almost 3 weeks for just a gear install, and they pushed it back a couple times even. Also, they were installed improperly and totally chewed up my gear face. Needed a totally new set. Needless to say i took my buisness elsewhere after that. They did get me a decent, conservative tune. Kauffmans meanwhile was top notch. They squeezed me in in a crunch and were fair with pricing. Nice guys too. So my vote: take it down to Tim and let him do it, as he does great work from what i hear...or take it to kauffmans.
Mike

I'll deff look into Kauffmans. I've heard nothing but excellent things from them. However, just for a tune. I'll install the blower myself. I'll be looking for a few knowledgable guys here from the NJ area to come down and help. However, not too many...ya know, too many chefs in the kitchen. :p