Squeaking after Start...

rude_life

Mar 30, 2005
Hey guys im having this squeaking sound coming from my engine bay when i start the car every morning to go to work or after the car has been sitting for a while in general. Im not sure where its coming from and i have tried to listen but i cant pinpoint its source or narrow it down. Any Ideas? I hope it isnt anything other than a minor pulley or belt or something.
Thanks...

Kris

• Sponsors (?)

it's probably a loose belt. Mine does the same thing, but when it warms up a bit it doesn't sqeak anymore. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you want i'd jsut buy a new belt. I'd expect maybe a little condensation or something gets on the belt to make it a little slick in the morn

donjohn said:
it's probably a loose belt. Mine does the same thing, but when it warms up a bit it doesn't sqeak anymore. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you want i'd jsut buy a new belt. I'd expect maybe a little condensation or something gets on the belt to make it a little slick in the morn

could be, have you also ever noticed how the direction the belt rotates actually seems to be putting pressure on the tensioner? The tensioner may be losing its tension.

The infamous cheep-cheep-cheep....hunt all over and can never find the mother.... :bang: Try this..... with it running shoot the tensioner with WD40.
Maybe that's it??? Took me 4 months of looking and listening to figure mine out...I think the spring in the tensioner gets rusted the cheeps away... :D Not all the time....just hear and there...Enuf to aggravate the living chit outta ya...
Ya got this nice ride the cheeps away...drove me nuts... :banana:

donjohn said:
true, it could be... but the noise goes away after it warms up, so if it did lose enough tension i'd think it'd stay squeaky the whole time? maybe not

the last little bit on the tensioner would be at its most pressure, as it starts to lose the tension it will get worse and worse, starting to lose tension from its strongest point. like a clockspring starting to wear out. (If that makes any sense to you) when new they have a S#$% load of pressure, evident by the giant wrench it takes to turn them. when they get worn, you can usually move it a tiny bit with little effort compared to how it should be.

Honestly though, i would change belt and tensioner at the same time. it doesnt cost that much and it keeps you from the "Replace belt, bang head cause its still doing it :bang: "