Squeek/chatter - deep, mid dash

Hello y'all - new member, attempting to learn my way around this forum.

I have an '03 v6 5sp that I bought new in Nov. '02. Completely stock, no mods. Mileage around 70k. Over the past 3 or 4 months, a new squeek/chatter sound has developed. Sounds like it's coming from DEEP in the dash, about midway between driver and passenger, maybe slightly more towards the passenger's side. I pulled everything from the center console - A/C controls, radio - and let it just hang while I drove the car - problem persisted. Only happens while the car is moving - no squeek when parked and idling. Had my wife drive the car while I laid on my back with my head under the dash - passenger's side, of course - and searched. Kinda wish I coulda seen that sight from another driver's point of view. Anyway, still no luck.

Kinda wondering if this squeek may be coming from the engine compartment. It's definitely vibration related - the rougher the road, the more constant the squeek. Extreeeemely annoying.

Thanks,
Hal

• Sponsors (?)

Mine is an '01. I had a creaking/squeek. Turned out to be the cowl under the wipers. It's held in with clips, and it just started squeaking one day. Try just pushing it down with equal gentle pressure. Worked for me.

Mine is an '01. I had a creaking/squeek. Turned out to be the cowl under the wipers. It's held in with clips, and it just started squeaking one day. Try just pushing it down with equal gentle pressure. Worked for me.

exactly where I was going to tell you to go.....its the plastic under the wipers. There are clip holding it in and they will eventually chirp or squeak. Put some electrical tape on the clip and push it back in place. no more chirping.

wiper cowl

the key word here is GENTLE. i applied just the SLIGHTEST pressure on the wiper cowl, and obviously in the WRONG place. clean snap - all the way. fixed the damn squeek tho. and even tho the cowl is in 2 pieces now, they are obviously snug-fitting enough not to work themselves completely loose. did this about 6 months ago, and no more squeek. wish i had been a little more careful.

the key word here is GENTLE. i applied just the SLIGHTEST pressure on the wiper cowl, and obviously in the WRONG place. clean snap - all the way. fixed the damn squeek tho. and even tho the cowl is in 2 pieces now, they are obviously snug-fitting enough not to work themselves completely loose. did this about 6 months ago, and no more squeek. wish i had been a little more careful.

I honestly couldn't see how that black trim piece broke just by pushing on it slightly.I've removed mine several times to fix the washer nozzles and the only thing that broke were the end clips.So the ends of the trim piece push down easily.No big deal.Mine is a 96 by the way.But the trim piece is the same up to 04.Maybe a little straighter on 99-04's.

Posted via Mobile Device