Stalling while in drive...

afhvengeance

Dec 13, 2009
New here, not entirely car savvy. I have a '00 mustang v6 automatic.

About a month ago I was on my way home driving down the highway, just cruising along when all the sudden the ride started getting a little jerky and the RPM's started dropped rapidly. Every time I stepped on the gas, it would bog the engine down. Fear that it would stall out in the middle of the highway, I put on my caution lights and stopped trying to accelerate. It progressively dropped gears until i was at a steady crawl, so I pulled off to the side of the road when I could and put it in park. As soon as I put it in park, the engine perked back up and I was able to rev it again. Once traffic had cleared and I felt it was safe, I put it back in gear and drove home problem free.

Now when I got home, I thought it might have been my air filter and/or fuel injectors being dirty, like i said i'm not really car savvy so i usually try to eliminate the things i do know about first, haha. A new air filter, fuel filter, and some fuel injector cleaner was put in the next day, and the problem didn't occur again until a few days ago...

This time, instead of just bogging down to a crawl, the engine completely stalled and i rolled to a stop. I tried restarting and i couldn't for a minute or two. I got it started again only to have the exact same thing happen again about 3 minutes later, then again 30 seconds later, then again 20 seconds later, to the point where i couldn't make it 50 feet without it stalling out. The weird thing is it only stalls when in drive.

I've contacted a few people who know quite a bit about cars and I've gotten theories that range anywhere from fuel/air valves and fuel pumps, to mass air sensors and a transmission sensor. I have no idea where to start, so I decided to come here to see what this community thinks!

The car has about 80,000 miles on it, had regular oil changes, plugs, wires, fluids, and filters all changed within the last 10k miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Vengeance

• Sponsors (?)