Stangmasters HELP!! Car idles like poop!!!

riz91302

Founding Member
Sep 1, 2001
Michigan
ok so here is my problem, when i start my car when its cold it will run for a couple seconds and die,, but if i rev it for about a minute it will idle fine. that was mostly in the winter and i went to the garage the other day and i started it and it idled fine, ive checked my tps and its right on, the iac is clean, i dont have any smog equipment on the car except for the egr valve, i dont think my cam has anything to do with it cuz it was doing this before to cam swap (stock cam to motorsport F), could this be a spark plug gap problem , i put a cooler heat range autolite plug in it and its still doing it, but i think i set the gap at like 40 since ive had the car...... any help from you guys would be awesome,, by the way, the only engine mods are 65mm throttle body, k&n, and the F cam.
thanks alot :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a K&N that you oil, pull the MAF element and clean it with non-flammable brake parts cleaner. K&N filters that require oiling frequently get over-oiled and deposit a coat of oil on the MAF element.

what kind of throttle body do you have? most, if not all aftermarket tb's (at least for 94-95 cars) have an idle air set screw that you can fiddle with to help idle problems. the stock tb has on also i believe, but the trick doesn't work as well.

ill try to clean the maf element and let you know what happens,, my throttle body is off of a 93 cobra so its not aftermarket
any other suggestion are welcome too, cuz this is really getting on my nerves
thanks alot guys

How long has your throttle body been on the car? Make sure its clean also. Crap will build up along the plate and cause it to surge and or stall. Air fuel mixture, maybe even try unhooking the battery for 30 seconds so comp relearns. All are just guesses!! Good luck.