starting my diy intercooler install

thxs saleen going to print up the picture when you post them

and yes jivepepper after reading your post here and on mph i was motivated to do the intercooler my self

after reading your post i ordered that bov

so your saying you have to remove one of the springs in it ?

• Sponsors (?)

SaleenGT2001 said:
i was seeing 10-12psi on a 3.5 pulley without the IC and i am now seeing 8-9psi on a 3.4 pulley with the IC.

the size of the cooler is 31x12x3. i'll have some pictures of the piping up later tonight.

WOW thats alot of boost drop! Its supposed to be 2 PSI max and anything past that, the restsriction can really hurt performance. But its because of the design of the IC, the air has to travel 24+ inches through bars and plates. But hey its a heck of alot better then no IC :nice: . Notice a big power increase? :D

ok guys you asked for it and here it is. i really hope nobody is on dial up!!

intercooler014.jpg

engine view

intercooler015.jpg

blower reclocked and 45* pipe running down towards the drivers side of the car.

intercooler016.jpg

another view lookinh down at the bottom of the engine compartment. the 45* pipe couples to about a 4"straight piece of pipe.

intercooler017.jpg

this is the drivers side front of the car. you can see the straight piece of pipe couples to a 90* pipe towrads the front of the car. it then couples to a rubber 90*elbow, then to another 4" srtaight piece of pipe then to the intercooler

intercooler018.jpg

this is the passenger side of the IC. i used a 90* piece of pipe here.

intercooler019.jpg

the 90* pipe couples to a 90* rubber elbow and up into the engine compartment using a 75* pipe. (note: i cut a hole to run the pipe thru, you may be able to route it a different way but this was the easiest route)

intercooler020.jpg

just a view from the bottom of the car.

intercooler021.jpg

this is the hole i cut in the inner fender to pass the piping thru. i coupled the 75* pipe to my BPV pipe.

intercooler022.jpg

i used a 75* pipe to couple the BPV pipe to the TB.

intercooler023.jpg

this is how i connected my mini race back to the intake. dont laugh! it works perfectly!

i hope this helps you guys out. maybe i can convince a mod to let me put all the info together and make a sticky in the tech section!

Attachments

• intercooler014.jpg
    intercooler014.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 76
  • intercooler015.jpg
    intercooler015.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 71
  • intercooler016.jpg
    intercooler016.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 62
  • intercooler017.jpg
    intercooler017.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 70
  • intercooler018.jpg
    intercooler018.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 68
  • intercooler019.jpg
    intercooler019.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 70
  • intercooler020.jpg
    intercooler020.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 63
  • intercooler021.jpg
    intercooler021.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 79
  • intercooler022.jpg
    intercooler022.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 69
  • intercooler023.jpg
    intercooler023.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 59
i havent noticed a power increase but i also pulled all the timing with my xcal and richened up the mixture till i can get it to a dyno. i'm suppose to be on the dyno friday at 10am, that is if the hurricane doesnt mess with NC too badly!

SaleenGT2001:
Are you sure your belt is routed correctly? It looks as though it should be routed differently neer the water pump and crank. Maybe the kit calls for the re-routing. Whats the deal with that?

you MAY be able to do it without reclocking the blower but you will want a smaller pulley to keep the boost up and trying to route the piping under the car from the original blower position would be a MAJOR PITA! i had to remove mine twice. once to reclock and swap the pulley and another time to put a new belt on when the original decided it only wanted to have 5 ribs!

hell yea man this was just the kind of pictures i were looking for just from the few shots you posted and looking at my car i have an idea how i am going to run things

this is some good stuff here :SNSign: :SNSign:

ordering them t-bolt clamps,hump hoses and rubber couplers rigth now and having them next dayed to me maybe i can get this done over the weekend

saleen your the man bro :hail2:

let me know if you run into any problems. i had my fair share of headaches during my install, so i will be glad to help anyone who is doing this install! it is about a day or two project. most of my time was spent getting things cut and figuring how to reroute the IAC and PCV hoses

nice job man... i also did the same with the same piping kit from ebay..

change those connectors out.. no matter how hard you tighten them.. they'll pop out under high boost.. happend to me twice and cost me some money on the dyno

SaleenGT2001 said:
i dont know how to make an avatar pic. i would like to have a new one. and a nicer sig pic to go with it. i would like to find out how to get a CT too. i would love to put "pushing the limits of the stock bottom end"

I made my own...just have to resize it to their limits.
That would be an awsome CT man :nice: . I think A few of us are going to need something like that LOL....im up in the air if im going to tell Tim "screw it, just put me to 500RWHP and ill take my chances" LOL . Right now im leaning toward 475RWHP....that should be pretty safe.

stanggt00 said:
thxs saleen going to print up the picture when you post them

and yes jivepepper after reading your post here and on mph i was motivated to do the intercooler my self

after reading your post i ordered that bov

so your saying you have to remove one of the springs in it ?

Yes there is 2 inside. Start with small one. That's what I'm using.

Also for the others asking about reclocking. Unless you want to deal with alot more bends in the pipe which also contributes to boost lost then reclock it, it's easy.