Starting problems

TD68302

Jul 29, 2007
Arvada, CO.
Drove Stang, today fired up in garage fine, drove to gas station 3 miles away filled up tank, went to start and no start, it turned over very slowly not enough to get it to fire, (battery in truck never had problem before) could have turned it faster by hand, noticed smoke from starter solenoid, cable from battery not hot, cable to starter very hot, let it sit about 10 minutes, tried to start again still turn very slow but enough to start. Any ideas???

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a bad starter. A tell tale sign is when it's hot it doesn't want to turn over. Could also be the starter solenoid as well. You might want to start with the solenoid since it's a $10 part and simple to change out.

Check your cables, they may have bad terminals at the end creating too much resistence in the wire. Could definately also be a bad starter. Yank it and take it to a parts house to have it tested for free. Also double check all of your grounds, maybe one of them has come loose over time.

I was thinking, maybe the cable from tha battery to the relay was maybe giong bad somehow, the ends look good. and it's about ten years old. It came with the trunk mounting kit, so I'm sure it's not the best cable. Where could I find some good cable if I go that route.