Steering Column Problems

nmk_61802

May 11, 2005
I have a 66 Coupe and a 92 Hatchback, the problem I currently have is with the 92. The steering column seems mis positioned. The ignition tumbler and the turn stalk almost touch the gauge surround, so close that I can't use high beams because the turn stalk will not go down. Could the column be partially collapsed? If so can it be pulled out? There seems to be no damage to the firewall and the dash seems to fit flush with the windshield, but I can tell the airbag has been deploied. Any other suggestions and/or comments?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure you don't have a tilt wheel? And it is in the max up position?

Otherwise, these do telescope in a crash. You should be able to tell if the trim is pushed together.

They are easy to remove, so you could easily take it out and inspect it.

Look under the hood and see if the intermediate shaft looks damaged.

LOL, Yes I know the difference between a tilt wheel and a standard column. Take a look at the pictures and notice where the turn stalk sits as well as the ignition tumbler. Can I get a measurement from the firewall to the end of the steering wheel from someone to determine if the problem is with my steering column or elsewhere?

Attachments

• Steering Column 001.jpg
    Steering Column 001.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Steering Column 002.jpg
    Steering Column 002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 88
These are cheap and easy enough to change. I would take the existing one out and look it over, and just get another one. I am assuming this is not an airbag wheel. This is a common item to remove and reinstall on these because it has to come loose to do the heater core change.

Remove the plastic trim. Unplug the wiring, and, or, just disconnect the switches, like the multi function switch, ignition, etc, remove the four under dash mounting nuts, the firewall coverplate, and intermediate shaft bolt and shaft, and it's out.

Get another one, reinstall it, put your electrical stuff on it and you are there.

I got an entire 89 tilt column a while back, with the wheel, for like $45, to get the horn button and wires for my 89.