Steering wheel idea

danny g

Founding Member
Sep 23, 1999
I have a 92 gt with the leather steering wheel. The leather is shot and the previous owner put on one of those giant ugly slip on covers. I was thinking of putting on a wheelskin but am not sold on that. I also thought about taking it off and sending it to late model resto to re-skin. However, they no longer provide this service. I also asked the auto interior shop who is doing my top and they declined as well.
So....why dont i just take the leather off of it. Then wouldn't it just be like the non leather wrapped lx wheel? Anyone try this. If not, I am gonna do it this weekend and take some pics.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 92 gt with the leather steering wheel. The leather is shot and the previous owner put on one of those giant ugly slip on covers. I was thinking of putting on a wheelskin but am not sold on that. I also thought about taking it off and sending it to late model resto to re-skin. However, they no longer provide this service. I also asked the auto interior shop who is doing my top and they declined as well.
So....why dont i just take the leather off of it. Then wouldn't it just be like the non leather wrapped lx wheel? Anyone try this. If not, I am gonna do it this weekend and take some pics.

This is where it's at my friend. I have 2 of their products (shift boot, E-brake cover). Take a look and/or give them a call. Seems like they have templates for every Mustang ever made.

http://www.redlinegoods.com/Mustang8793leatherwheelcover.php

Ouch! $129? Very nice looking but too bad its not padded enough... I'd just go with an aftermarket wheel...

You can get the extra padding option, but it thickens up the wheel a lot. I plan to do the redline standard leather wrap when I redo my wheel. I think it looks a lot better than the wheelskins.

To the OP... I don't think removing the leather leaves you with a rubber wheel at all, there is different padding for the leather.

Wythors, a forum member here with some nice cars, was happy with Wheel Skins. A local auto upholstery shop that does high-end work swears by Wheel Skins. I think they charge around $125-150 for the cover and install. This is something I need to get done to my wheel.