Steering when I hit bumps(kinda long)

realtripp

Mar 1, 2003
Ft. Madison, IA
I think the problem I have here is the dreaded "bumpsteer". I bought a 1990 2.3 Stang yesterday(hatchback, auto) and it rides about an inch lower in the front than my 91 coupe does. While driving it I noticed that when I hit a bump it wants to steer in that direction. This will change depending on which wheel hits the bump. It is really annoying.

Bumpsteer is a result of improper lowering of the car right. Due to some other really crappy fixes on this car I think the previous owner just cut springs or something to that order. The top edge of the tire tilts in while the bottom edge juts out (crappy illustration looking at front of car: |-\\ the hyphen is the spindle)

This car also resists steering at first then settles into a curve or turn.

Can I remedy this with new progressive weight springs or a bumpsteer kit.
What progressive rate springs are the best for a 2.3 turbo?

Or will any suspension modification(lowering) make it behave so? Ideally I would like to find stiffer, stock height springs because of ground (read snow in winter) clearance and getting in and out of my driveway.

Thanks all!

• Sponsors (?)

if the car has been lowered you can change the balljoints to lowered ones, make sure the end links have been swapped for shorter ones on the sway bar, and the eaisest thing is make sure your car is properly aligned with the correct about of toe-in

Dr.

realtripp said:
I think the problem I have here is the dreaded "bumpsteer". I bought a 1990 2.3 Stang yesterday(hatchback, auto) and it rides about an inch lower in the front than my 91 coupe does. While driving it I noticed that when I hit a bump it wants to steer in that direction. This will change depending on which wheel hits the bump. It is really annoying.

Bumpsteer is a result of improper lowering of the car right. Due to some other really crappy fixes on this car I think the previous owner just cut springs or something to that order. The top edge of the tire tilts in while the bottom edge juts out (crappy illustration looking at front of car: |-\\ the hyphen is the spindle)

This car also resists steering at first then settles into a curve or turn.

Can I remedy this with new progressive weight springs or a bumpsteer kit.
What progressive rate springs are the best for a 2.3 turbo?

Or will any suspension modification(lowering) make it behave so? Ideally I would like to find stiffer, stock height springs because of ground (read snow in winter) clearance and getting in and out of my driveway.

Thanks all!

I would think a bumb steer kit would be in order and maybe some C/C Plates ( I heard if the car is lowered 1-1.5 you should use a bump steer to put the tie rods back in the orginal alignment). Once that is done I would get a alignment and see if that helps you out, those C/C Plates should really give you lots of room to adjust those tires out hopefully. There is a good thread with pics on here of a guy who did this already and it helped him out, it was called "mm and cc installed" or something like that. Also I think the springs on a turbo car is the same as the 2.3Ls but don't quote me on that.

I hope that helps you in some way, Good luck.

I think you may be right, Jquintel. I should try that. The shop that was doing my brake stuff and fixing the rear shocks said that the springs are all within stock specs.

I have another theory here, It has aftermarket wheels on it and I think that the backspacing might be all wrong. Thankfully there is a fifth wheel (full size spare) in the hatch and I will measure the backspacing on that one. Could backspacing be the problem here, and what is the proper backspacing for one of these cars?