stereo draining battery??

Smaug

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Nova Scotia
hey guys - i have this friggin blaupunkt stereo i got off of ebay - and the damn thing seems to be draining my battery. if i leave the deck installed, by morning my battery will be dead. if i turn the car off, the deck still has power, i can still insert and eject cd's....so i figure the deck is draining the battery. is there any way to stop this? i thought i had heard of a way - a capacator or something?? anyways - just wondering - its a pain unhooking and rehooking itb ack up all the time - and there are no stero places nearby that i can take it to.
thanks
steve

• Sponsors (?)

Um, who installed it? Something is not right with the installation at all. Sounds like the power source is coming from a constant 12v source (like constant even when the car is off). Check the installation if you did it yourself, or if you had a place install it for you, take it back and have them redo it. No a capacitor will not help, neither will a new battery. Dont add more components onto your car to fix what could be, and probably is, a very simple wiring problem.

you may want to check your wiring harnessand check that the colors match, normally yellow is memory and this get power at all times so it can save your presets and time, and every deck will allow you to eject a cd with the car off it's just for convinience. and the red wire is the one you want to check that is the ignition wire this should be connected to somethig that's only hot when the key is turned to the ON position. if you have a volt meter just measure the voltage from the yellow and red wires on your harness behind the deck and let me know what you come up with.