STI Video

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
Portland, Oregon
So exciting! Yes!

Okay, it isn't a Mustang, I know. But it's mine, so I want to share. So please bask in the glory that is The Wing... and feast your ears on the harmonious symphony of four-banger music eminating from The Fart Can.

Dyno Video (6.8MB)

Predictably, as is par for the course when it comes to my cars ... it did not make the power I expected it to :nonono:. It put down 284 whp, 318 tq. With a good tune, I expect it should be more like 310/335. It's just got a shelf tune right now, I may opt for a pro tune before long.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

I love scoobys.. I test drove an STi when I picked up my 1997 Legacy GT, and I was amazed at how it drove, etc. I probably would get rid of the spoiler though. A white, wingless STi with some Rota wheels = :nice:

Nice, my dad is either looking at picking up an 05+ Stang or an STI, but he's leaning toward the STI since we live in MI. Also, he's older and the 4-doors might be safer and practical. It's still somewhat up in the air though.

What kind of mods have you done? I'm anxious as my dad is going to start getting all sorts of "gifts" as soon as he picks up the car.:D

As of this morning... no more 5" tip :D. Nice, sedate looking & sounding exhaust. I lost about 3 psi of boost, though, I hope the computer relearns the wastegate map soon! :doh:

SWYZ721 said:
What kind of mods have you done? I'm anxious as my dad is going to start getting all sorts of "gifts" as soon as he picks up the car.:D
Exhaust (downpipe & catback), tune, springs, swaybars, tint, clearbra, mudflaps :D, and carputer.

If your Dad does end up getting an STI, I would recommend that he is careful selecting the toys. Modding an STI is not cheap, and it is very easy to blow money on toys that either don't help, or actually hurt. That makes it especially important to select the right toys the first time.

Dave

yellow1995Cobra said:
Nice dave, i likey.
Thanks! ;)

I just got back from a trip up the twisties... nothing like going up a twisty, steep uphill road balls out, howling the tires through each turn. I actually sat in my garage when I got home and laughed. Giggled might be more accurate. I'm going to die in a ball of flaming, twisted metal some day, but when they pry my body from the wreckage there will be a smile on my face :lol:.

So how much power can you "safely" make with the sti's using the stock motor?
The stock internals are okay to about 400 whp. But the pistons are hypereutectic, so much above that and it's worth swapping forged pistons in (and you can swap pistons without tearing apart the bottom end, which is cool). I don't see too many people running more than about 500 whp, so I don't know where the next failure point is after that.

Dave

Rootus said:
Thanks! ;)

I just got back from a trip up the twisties... nothing like going up a twisty, steep uphill road balls out, howling the tires through each turn. I actually sat in my garage when I got home and laughed. Giggled might be more accurate. I'm going to die in a ball of flaming, twisted metal some day, but when they pry my body from the wreckage there will be a smile on my face :lol:.

The stock internals are okay to about 400 whp. But the pistons are hypereutectic, so much above that and it's worth swapping forged pistons in (and you can swap pistons without tearing apart the bottom end, which is cool). I don't see too many people running more than about 500 whp, so I don't know where the next failure point is after that.

Dave

Thats hilarious! :rlaugh: If you die doing what you love, then i guess its a good death :)

They must really move at 400whp.. Whats your plans? I think you should go for the 500whp mark, that sounds about right!

Hows the 95 doing anyways? Are you neglecting the poor thing now?

yellow1995Cobra said:
They must really move at 400whp.. Whats your plans?
Something I want to find out ;). A buddy of mine has a 2006 that he bought 3 days after me, and he's already at that level and climbing. He's open to letting me drive it, so I think I need to :).

I think you should go for the 500whp mark, that sounds about right!
It's only money :lol:. I'm thinking more along the lines of 375-400 whp for me. A downside to any turbo car, especially one like the STI that has a fairly long uppipe, is that lag is a consideration. A turbo that makes 500 whp won't reach full spool until close to 5000 RPM. It would still be fast below that point, but that's more lag than I'm willing to accept. I'm shooting for something like a TD06 20G or FP Green, along with methanol injection -- spools like stock, makes great top-end power. I'm spoiled right now with my stage 2 setup, because the cute little VF39 turbo reaches full boost at about 2700 RPM :).

Hows the 95 doing anyways? Are you neglecting the poor thing now?
I'm about to get back into finishing the "return to stock" plan. I just need to get the E7's fixed up, and then I've got most of the rest of the parts already. I'm lazy ;). I haven't decided what the long term plan for that car is. I should probably sell it if I'm not going to drive it much.

Dave

Rootus said:
Something I want to find out ;). A buddy of mine has a 2006 that he bought 3 days after me, and he's already at that level and climbing. He's open to letting me drive it, so I think I need to :).

It's only money :lol:. I'm thinking more along the lines of 375-400 whp for me. A downside to any turbo car, especially one like the STI that has a fairly long uppipe, is that lag is a consideration. A turbo that makes 500 whp won't reach full spool until close to 5000 RPM. It would still be fast below that point, but that's more lag than I'm willing to accept. I'm shooting for something like a TD06 20G or FP Green, along with methanol injection -- spools like stock, makes great top-end power. I'm spoiled right now with my stage 2 setup, because the cute little VF39 turbo reaches full boost at about 2700 RPM :).

I'm about to get back into finishing the "return to stock" plan. I just need to get the E7's fixed up, and then I've got most of the rest of the parts already. I'm lazy ;). I haven't decided what the long term plan for that car is. I should probably sell it if I'm not going to drive it much.

Dave

Only money man! I like your plans, its cool to get some talk in here about cars other then mustangs.

Thats sad about the 95 :( But are you selling everything off it? Heads? intake?. Shoot me a pm if your selling anything...

yellow1995Cobra said:
Thats sad about the 95 :( But are you selling everything off it? Heads? intake?. Shoot me a pm if your selling anything...
Heads/cam/intake has been sold (to "Stang D" on these very forums). I have very little aftermarket stuff left. Longtubes & mid-pipes is basically it now.

I'm not getting out of Mustangs for good, just taking a breather. I've had a lot of SN95's you know (94GT, 95GT, 97GT, 98 Cobra, 99 Cobra, and 03 Cobra), as well as one Fox. It's just too easy to get bored with an SN95 after you've done so many of them :D.

I'm actually thinking of picking up a classic Mustang, ideally a 69/70, that I can build into a Mach1-alike. I would not make it into a monster, just something plenty quick and well-rounded. Maybe slip in something a little more modern into the suspension, brakes, etc.

Dave

I test drove 04 STI and i was :notnice: , i banged 1-4th gear on 6500 and i look at speedo i still going 85mph WTF, it looks like you going fast when you banging gears in short time

Its good car with a lot power form factory ,but what i hears those blocks can't hold a lot off boost and daily beating

Slow5.0 said:
I test drove 04 STI and i was :notnice: , i banged 1-4th gear on 6500 and i look at speedo i still going 85mph WTF, it looks like you going fast when you banging gears in short time
Hmmm, let's see.... 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, quarter mile in 13.0 @ 103.5 ... stock. Yup, only looks fast :). Your 5.0 only looks fast too, apparently :stick:.

I do agree that the gears are pretty short, and you shift a lot, but there is a reason for that -- The STI is not set up for drag racing, it is set up for road racing & autocross.

Its good car with a lot power form factory ,but what i hears those blocks can't hold a lot off boost and daily beating
You hear wrong.

Dave

I may hear wrong ,but thats what people talks

You don't have that clunk in rear end every time you bang into higher gear, this one had , just like a few other in my town,meybe its older STI ,your is newer style

nice vid

The wrx is a great car, if you can get past its extremely ugly looks :D

I remember in car and driver (i think thats the publication) comparing the wrx to a 03 cobra a little while back, with both cars being stock. The wrx out twistied the stang, and the stang beat the wrx in a straight line.

Slow5.0 said:
I may hear wrong ,but thats what people talks
Ernie, if I believed everything I heard, then Mustangs would be rattle-trap pieces of garbage that are slow, pig-heavy and don't handle worth a damn.

You don't have that clunk in rear end every time you bang into higher gear, this one had , just like a few other in my town,meybe its older STI ,your is newer style
If I shift hard enough, I hear a faint clunk as the differential hits the mounts. What does that mean, though? The clunk I got from my '03 Cobra was much, much louder. It is one of the side effects of having a differential directly attached to the body of the car, as any R/AWD car with an IRS is going to have. You can solve it with harder bushings, but those transmit more NVH, so it is all a trade-off. The Mustang is no stranger to soft rubber bushings.

Dave