stock HP of an 2.3l 88?

• Sponsors (?)

Turbo will work.
Also you can do the cold air intake on an 87 to 89 by buying a cheap cone filter (20 bux) and a 3 inch 90 degree bend. I did this in my 2.3 and it worked pretty good.

Gutted the air silencer removed the airbox turned the rubber hose going from the air silencer to the airbox and pointed it towards the fender then used the 90 degree bend and the cone filter. Worked like a charm. The modified air silencer didnt seem to cause any problems and you could feel minor gains and a throaty (not ricey sound)

for less than 200 you can do a 2.5 cat back style single exhaust with a dynomax super turbo muffler and an LX 5.0 stainless steel pipe. Dont go with flowmaster they dont flow as well and dont sound as good (speaking from experiance!!!)

So less than 200 cat back exhaust and a cold air intake.
If you know someone with a welder you can do the exhaust for less than 100.

I don't think it would be even worth it with a N/A 2.3L, however you could put in a gear in the back, 4.10 or higher, along with a 8.8 so when you see the light and put either a V8 or turbo in there then you wouldn't have wasted any money.

The 7.5 actually isn't all that weak, even behind a 2.3T. It's not getting the instant torque off the line that a V8 makes, so it's not subjected to the same kind of stress as it would be behind a 5.0.

Ash

Foxfan88 said:
will it make a difference if i just turbo the NA 2.3 or should i just buy a whole 2.3 t engine?

You COULD turbo the 2.3 n/a engine, but you'll blow the pistons before you realize what happened. Plus, you'll have to mod the oil pan so that the turbo can get oil. You'll want the turbo version of the engine because it has forged pistons and lower compression to handle more boost.

It's just a lot easier to pull out the whole 2.3 turbo engine, because everything you need will be there. It's basically the same engine, so the swap is very straightforward.

Use the search function on this board to find more info on swapping the engines.

eh I paid 300 for my running Turbo Coupe to do my 2.3T conversion with. Drove the car to my house at 85mph or so and even beat a riced out honda with it on the way here before we started pulling it apart! haha

89Stang said:
eh I paid 300 for my running Turbo Coupe to do my 2.3T conversion with. Drove the car to my house at 85mph or so and even beat a riced out honda with it on the way here before we started pulling it apart! haha

hehe! I had pretty much the same story and price as you for my '88LX. Except I dident whale on the '87TC, it sat for awhile :\

lol yeah I decided to see what the engine would do first... Not bad for that Heavy TC! boost gauge was moving between 18-20psi and spiking to almost 24!!

Ran good for a small vam non intercooled model!!!