Stock rear gear?

• Sponsors (?)

Crooktele79 said:
Has anyone with an automatic had 4.10's installed? if so, how much of a difference did it make? I got my gears today and want to know what to expect.
From 3.30 to 4.10 is a big change and just a bit much for the auto and its gear ratios but its the route im going too. I have the gears now but Im trying to find someone to install them.

-Dan

There is a big difference on the take off of the 4:10 gears you will like them if you you get them. I have had mine on for a couple of weeks. The only difference I have noticed is at 70 MPH it runs a little higher RPM sorta like driving with overdrive off. I have the Ford gears I have heard from several installers they would not install anything but the Ford gear because the other gears had problems with a loud whine at crusing speeds. A friend had bought Richmond gears had them installed and to have them removed and another set ordered and installed all because of the noise they made.

cleveland said:
From 3.30 to 4.10 is a big change and just a bit much for the auto and its gear ratios but its the route im going too. I have the gears now but Im trying to find someone to install them.

-Dan
Elaborate on why it would be too much gear for the auto please (my `94 Lightning came stock with 4:11 gears and was an auto) I would think the 5 speed auto would handle it just fine. Also what are you thoughts on a bigger stall?

Thanks,
JL Tampa

I've got the 4.10's and with a tune and shift point change it's not too bad. Before that it was kind of a pain being in fourth before you get across an intersection.

Guys,

I had 3.73s installed in my automatic because I was told by my SVT Ford Dealer that if I supercharge, the 3.73 is as much gear as I need...

Right now, I have supertuned the car with a Diablo, CAI, and the gears...

Runs stronger, better all around performance because I have shifted the RPM range up by about 200 RPMs...

No change in gas mileage that I have noticed...

I think that 4.10s are good for 5 speeds but will shift your automatic too quickly...

That's why I chose the 3.73s...

Just my opinion on the subject...

Dave
:banana:

ragtop91 said:
Elaborate on why it would be too much gear for the auto please (my `94 Lightning came stock with 4:11 gears and was an auto) I would think the 5 speed auto would handle it just fine. Also what are you thoughts on a bigger stall?

Thanks,
JL Tampa
This was discussed many months ago on another forum. What I remember is that 3.90s was the ideal gear for the automatic and 4.10s was the ideal for manuals.

Stall speed is based on where you are making your power, if you want a "less streetable" driving experience increase that speed. I'll eventually do this but its probably going to be something more than 3200rpm.

-Dan