Stock timing as compared to the Diablo Tune

Red03Mustang

Apr 26, 2004
Does anyone know how much one has to retard the timing in the Diablo Tune to equal the Ford factory tune? Does it need to be retarded -40, or is that even below the factory tune?

I'm looking to run 87 octane gas.

I was told to retard the timing -20 to run 89 octane, so it's a good guess that -40 is the stock spark timing.

• Sponsors (?)

Red03Mustang said:
Does anyone know how much one has to retard the timing in the Diablo Tune to equal the Ford factory tune? Does it need to be retarded -40, or is that even below the factory tune?

I'm looking to run 87 octane gas.

I was told to retard the timing -20 to run 89 octane, so it's a good guess that -40 is the stock spark timing.

Why not just install the "Factory HP" tune? You can still change the gear ratio (I assume that's why you're not restoring the backup) but all other parameters match the original backed up tune and you can run 87.

Agreed. Just run the Factory HP Tune(your current tune before predator) and tweak out what you want. I run this tune with the timing maxed. I run 93 octane to be safe and I find this tune gives me the best performance.

Factory HP tune doesn't work.

SigmaPride said:
Agreed. Just run the Factory HP Tune(your current tune before predator) and tweak out what you want. I run this tune with the timing maxed. I run 93 octane to be safe and I find this tune gives me the best performance.

Because the Factory HP tune does not work.

There is a major glitch, in that when you set the gear ratio to anything other than stock, it doesn't set your speedometer or miles. I don't think it sets anything at all.

So that's why I have to retard timing, because I HAVE to use the Diablo Tune to get the Rear Gear Ratio setting to work.

I emailed diablosport about it, and they said that I need to have them setup the Factory HP Tune as a custom tune, then they'll email it back to me with the 4.10 setting. I don't feel like doing that right now, so I thought if I just knew the factory timing, I'd just bump it down to that.

Is -40 the equivelant of the stock setting from the factory?

That sucks. You would have to ask diablo what the timing would be on your car with the diablo tune. Or if you know what the stock timing is(10 maybe) then you can ask them how much of a percentage they crank it up from the factory and figure it out.

I'm purely guessing, but I think around -20 would probably be good enough to run 87. Once again ask diablo for sure, but good luck.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to run 87? Personally I would just put in the highest octane and run the diablo tune as-is until they get you a fix.

propellerhead said:
Why not just back it off until you don't ping? Once you find that setting, that's it.

Cause that takes forever, and I'm lazy!

For one thing, it's hard for me to tell when my car is pinging, or barely pinging, because it's loud. I can't hear pinging really, or I'm afraid I would hear some pinging. I really don't want it to ping at all. But, I also know that it is different from car-to-car too, so I was going to use someone's suggestion here as a starting point.

To be honest, I don't think I heard any pinging with a Diablo Tune and 87 Gas, because I had that in my tank the first time I installed the Diablo tune. I didn't hear it then, but supposedly I really should have, because I'm supposed to run 93 with that setup. :eek: But like I said, I can't hear!

I think right now I am at -30 timing, running 89. I think I'll go up to -10 and see what happens.

Also, I richened my fuel by 5. Should I put it back to 0? Shouldn't you try to run as lean as you can get away with? I heard that creates more power, since that's really what a CAI does is lean out the mixture a little. So I wasn't sure if I should just leave that at 0 or richen it, but I richened it to help prevent ping and for the K&N being in there. Maybe my logic is wrong.

Thanks propellerhead. :nice:

Give Me TP said:
How about trying an earlier version of the Predator tune which also allowed adjustment of the factory tune? I think that was first included with version r50, but if you want to try them I have versions r50b and r50c that I can e-mail.

Thanks. I know in revision C it doesn't work, because I tried that one.

Maybe B would? Who knows. I'm going to play with it a little and just see if I hear pinging I guess. :rolleyes:

If you want to email me the B revision, you can at [email protected]

Thanks!