Storage Question

BLKVERT

Jan 19, 2004
SATX
Okay guys/gals...have a general storage question here. I work at a dealership and demo quite a few cars so I rarely get a chance to drive my own personal car. Because of this I store it in my garage covered with a Car Cover, until I have the opportunity to drive it. Question is, do I need to make it a point ot at least drive it once a week and how long do I need to drive it?? Do I let the motor warm up??? Is once a week long enough? Am I goign to have problems with the oil being stagnant or sittign to long and should I put some stabil in the tank to keep the gas clean??? Any help is greatly appreciated! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Well how long does it sit without running.? Is the first question that needs to be answered. I put my car away in the winter months. Usually november to may. But thats six months so it may differ from your situation. But here is what i do. 1, Put car away with full tank of gas, and stabil. I also change teh oil right before i put it away. Pull in the garage and disconect the battery. Then put the car cover on it. I don't get a chance to start it much because of the weather. Probably once every two months. Like i said depending on the weather. But if you do start it make sure you let it run long enough to get any condensation out. then when it does come out for the spring i change the oil again. I'm asuuming your car does'nt sit that long but hopefully i was of some help. :flag:

03redfiregt said:
Well how long does it sit without running.? Is the first question that needs to be answered. I put my car away in the winter months. Usually november to may. But thats six months so it may differ from your situation. But here is what i do. 1, Put car away with full tank of gas, and stabil. I also change teh oil right before i put it away. Pull in the garage and disconect the battery. Then put the car cover on it. I don't get a chance to start it much because of the weather. Probably once every two months. Like i said depending on the weather. But if you do start it make sure you let it run long enough to get any condensation out. then when it does come out for the spring i change the oil again. I'm asuuming your car does'nt sit that long but hopefully i was of some help. :flag:

Thanks for replying.....your right it doesn't sit that long but it does either sit all week or maybe even two without even being started. Would that be an issue?