Straight pipe vs. SLP LM vs. Flowmaster axel backs

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, mostly old hot rods, but alot of newer cars go too. Its off the 101 on Indian Bend. Usually around 8p or so its pretty packed. I haven't been there w/ the mustang yet, might go out there tonight.

ZenGirl35 said:
Okay, guys: I'm struggling here. If you remove the factory mufflers, do you just drive around without them or add new ones? Sorry to be so clueless...
Take a look at this image. You can see how the exhaust goes over the axle and the attaches to the mufflers. The mufflers are clamped to the exhaust pipes after the axles (hence "axlebacks"). The axlebacks are really a muffler with a tip and the small section of pipe attached to clamp to the exhaust pipe.
xhst.jpg

Here is a pic of the factory muffler and my Magnaflow axleback side by side
axlbck.JPG

BOSS4.6L said:
Is that your stang in the pic comparing the stock muffler to the magnaflows? how do they sound?

Yes, that is my 05 GT. They are not loud. They have a mellow tone to them and no real noticeable drone in the cabin at cruising speed. Since my 66 is LOUD I really wanted something a little more mellow on the 05.
I am putting together a bunch of write ups on modifications I have done (axle backs, lowering springs, adjustable panhard rod, adjustable lower control arms, etc..) and will have a couple sound clips in the write up. If you would like me to post a soundclip before posting the write up just let me know.

Finally I got My flows last week in the mail. Put them on in the parking lot of my appt complex, it was very easy until it came time to adjust the mufflers around to get a perfect fit but I must say that the flows put out the sweetest sound I have ever heard from these new 05 GT's. They are loud and aggressive sounding enough but the sound does not protrude into the inside of the car very much so that is a plus. Now I just have to take them to a muffler shop and have them adjusted again for fit and finish, then weld them on so they seal up nice and tight.

I have seen on other forums people quoting +2 to +6rwhp for SLP loudmouths. There are also those that claim a loss . Although I dont buy that.. it may have been the chip upgrades. for myself I noticed a slight improvement when I installed mine.

bleedingvayneAD said:
Why doesn't anyone seem to like JBA?

I like JBA, just got a set off the doorstep, putting on tomorrow (raining now... mmmm.... garage....) :) Out of all the sound clips, along with price and looks and owner feedback, I've decided on the JBA for most "bang for the buck". I really wanted a set of Bassani's, but the sound clips just didn't do it for me. Then again, I know the sound clips aren't what the really sound like, but after spending a year on aircraft carrier flight decks, I can't hear so good anyway.

I put up some sound clips after I get them installed. But they look great!