Strange brake bleed problem...

5.0CRAZY

Founding Member
May 17, 2002
Frozen North
I swapped rear ends in my 91 coupe, still stock drum brakes. Had to transfer the rigid brake line from my original rear end to the one installed now. Im trying to bleed the brakes now and for some reason there seems to be absolutely no brake fluid comming out of the bleed screws. I can have somebody holding the brakes, crack the bleeder(s) open, and the pedal wont drop to the floor or have any change in feel at all.

I checked for fluid at the rubber line fitting to the 2 rear rigid lines and theres fluid there. No pinches in the rigid lines either. I can tell the shoes are moving when the brakes are pushed but I guess thats just trapped air pressure moving them. Could it be the drum cylinders as the brakes that came with this diff have definitely seen better days?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have fluid at the hose at the rear end, remove the line at the wheel cylinder and see if you have fluid there. If you do, I would replace the wheel cylinders. If you don't then obviously there is a blockage in the steel line.

Yeah thats what I figured, just making sure there wasn't anything I was missing before I rip off the rigid lines because the fittings are so chewed up Im going to have to vice grip them off. And try and scrounge up some new ones some how.