Stupid question but... How to do ao burnout???

jbritt1234

Aug 14, 2003
Knoxville, TN
Ok, here is the deal. I've always been pretty conserviteve on my tires/drive train and never done a "burnout".

So, how do you actually do one??? Do you revv up to 5000k, drop the clutch and pray that nothing brakes? Do you drop it at a lower PRM and punch it????

Please tell me how you do a burn out. I've got about 1/2 the tread left on my F1's and I wanna do a burnout with the best of em.

I know this is a newb quiestion but, please help me out.

• Sponsors (?)

If you launch your car like that at 5000rpm's you better pray you get another chance to read the replies to this post.NO NO do not do that if you do not know how to react. To start try keeping the revs up but not that high... release the clutch as your
keeping the gas on... when you feel it start to spin let it out but be ready cause your gonna spin or your gonna grip..... grip is better in the real world and it should be easy to get it to spin......back to the point, if you want to keep spinning apply the brakes a little to keep the tires spinning... or while rolling put the clutch back in, rev it up and dump the gas...... this is not good for the car for many reasons but it is safer to do the double clutch thing while rolling than a 5000rpm dump the clutch launch.....Be careful driving like this. When I was 15 my dad had a 69 Nova for 2 weeks. One night I triee speedod "brake torque" it was wet I got spinning, the speedo said 75mph
I started to grip and ended up hitting a telephone pole, the car was done. Don't let it happen to you I was lucky.

Another method.

Slip the clutch out like a normal take off and as soon as you start moving put your foot on the brake and give it gas. It should lock your car down and you do a stationary burnout. Watch your RPMs and let off a little then give it gas again (feathering). Then just let off the gas and keep it floored until it stops spinning.

You can use either water or bleach on your tires and it'll let them spin easier and I'm assuming less initial stress on the car.

You can also find some loose gravel and start spinning off of that. Should be able to keep the spin in the pavement.

Put in the clutch with your left foot. Put your right heel on the brake. Use your right toe to put the gas in some. Normally around 4000+. Keep your foot at this angle where the brake is fully engaged, and you have the car at around 4000rpms. Side step the clutch and adjust the gas as needed to your preference of smokie burnout :D.

ENJOY!!! :nice:

The best thing to do would be to buy a line lock kit...Simple as that.Push in your brakes,then hold the button on the line lock,let off of your brakes,put in 1st with clutch in,rev to 3K-3.5K,dump clutch and punch it at the same time,back off the gas a little to hold at around 4.5K-5K and as long as you hold the button,you will not move and your front brakes will be locked,then when your ready,let off the button,punch it and slap 2nd gear and see how much rubber you can lay through 2nd :nice: BTW dont forget to turn OFF your traction control.

StangLou said:
Put in the clutch with your left foot. Put your right heel on the brake. Use your right toe to put the gas in some. Normally around 4000+. Keep your foot at this angle where the brake is fully engaged, and you have the car at around 4000rpms. Side step the clutch and adjust the gas as needed to your preference of smokie burnout :D.

ENJOY!!! :nice:

that's what I do... but kinda wired braking with your heel though..

I don't think doing burnouts is high on my list of reasons to buy an automatic, it's much easier in a manual once you figure it out. It's like everything else....practice makes perfect. It's more fun to do sideway drifts in empty parking lots (watch out for light poles).

HogStang said:
What about a burnout in an Auto? Stomp on the brake then floor it? Seem about right..? (with traction control off obviously)

Foot on the brake. Ease the gas up so you stay in control. You don't need to stomp anything. You'll break loose at about 1500 rpm on stock 245's.

BTW. Having had both auto and manual, I've always thought the manual was easier to control and do a burnout in. Just my .02 :D Easy with that mongoose. Practice in a early Sunday morning empty parking lot, not at a street light.

Your supposed to do the burnout in 2nd gear correct? And also if you have nittos and you back your tires up in the water box it should be easy enough to just rev up to say 4000 and dump the clutch and then tap the brake if you start to move right? I haven't tried it yet since i got my nittos but i need to.

kirkyg

ok.....now if i do the burnout...what is a reasonable time? i mean how long?? i dont wanna destroy the tires just lookin for a little smoke. and how much tread can i expect to lose?! am i gonna need new tires after the first time or two?