stupid starter bolts

siege

Feb 23, 2003
Peoria, AZ
hey guys. well today my starter bolts backed out far enough for it to skip off and not start the car...just got grinding like mad. anyway, the starter is fine and it did a little damage to my flywheel - but nothing major, just some nicks. anyway, before I put the starter back on, what do you guys do to make sure the bolts don't back out? all I have with me right now is some "permatex high temp thread sealant." would this stuff work? or should I just tighten them, and then tighten them again in a few days (like a lot of people do with header bolts)? I just got home so everything is hot as hell and I already burnt my palm, so I'm gonna wait for everything to cool down to put it back on. unfortunately I can't go to the store to get some loc-tite cause I have no car atm.

by the way, which way do you guys fish the top bolt in/out? I just did it with a universal and an extension from the bottom thru the a-arm, but it was a PITA...couldn't turn the wrench very far. thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

siege said:
hey guys. well today my starter bolts backed out far enough for it to skip off and not start the car...just got grinding like mad. anyway, the starter is fine and it did a little damage to my flywheel - but nothing major, just some nicks. anyway, before I put the starter back on, what do you guys do to make sure the bolts don't back out? all I have with me right now is some "permatex high temp thread sealant." would this stuff work? or should I just tighten them, and then tighten them again in a few days (like a lot of people do with header bolts)? I just got home so everything is hot as hell and I already burnt my palm, so I'm gonna wait for everything to cool down to put it back on. unfortunately I can't go to the store to get some loc-tite cause I have no car atm.

by the way, which way do you guys fish the top bolt in/out? I just did it with a universal and an extension from the bottom thru the a-arm, but it was a PITA...couldn't turn the wrench very far. thanks guys

I put lock washers on my starter bolts, because they backed out also. As far as getting the top one out, I use about 3 extensions and a swivel through the a arm.:nice:

hmm, no lock washers here, guess I'll just have to put the bolts on and redo them later. that top bolt sucks, its like the engineers didn't think it would ever need to be replaced. lame.

thanks

siege said:
hmm, no lock washers here, guess I'll just have to put the bolts on and redo them later. that top bolt sucks, its like the engineers didn't think it would ever need to be replaced. lame.

thanks

That thread locker you said you have, is that like silicon, or more like loctite? If its like loctite I would imagine it would work... just dont get to much on that top bolt or you may never get it out. :rolleyes:

lol, the top bolt is way easy to get too, I have a stock car so I know I cant have much more room than you other guys. If you stick your arm up above the a-arm, there is a hole in the fender area where you can stick your hand through and use the socket wrench without any universals, makes it a straight shot, still cant turn it very far but it works great.

For the initial poster, you might want to figure out why those bolts vibrated loose. In my case, it was a mangled driveshaft that I eventually replaced with an aluminum unit. The vibration was so bad that it shook my starter loose multiple times, and even got the bolts on the bellhousing of the tranny loosened; no joke.

The top bolt is easy to get out. At first it looks like its impossible to get out. You need at least a 12" extension (or combination of smaller ones). You simply pass it through going from the front of the engine over the motor mount and guide it onto the upper bolt of the starter. You will kinda have one hand at the front of the engine passing it back, and then another hand to guide it onto the bolt. If one of the extensions allows the socket to angle a little that will help as well. No need to take the wheel off. You can get real good leverage and get bolt on tight. Dead easy!

Howard