Stupid Steering Column Problem

pyroman

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2002
Ennis, Texas
I took my steering box out to do some paint work on the frame. Well I reinstalled the box and slipped the column over the shaft and went to bolt the (for lack of a better term) column support to the bottom of the dash.

Well I got underneath it and realized it basically bolts to the pedal assembly, but one of the threaded clips was gone and the holes in the pedal assembly weren't lining up with the holes in the dash. I can pull the pedal assembly into place but I'm in such an awkward angle and I only have 2 arms that managing to hold the column in place, pedal assembly in place while balancing the two brackets that hold the column and threading the bolts is impossible. Add in the fact that one of the clips is missing and it just furthers my frustration. Anyone else have this stupid problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Try loosening the bolts that hold the pedal assembly (including the Master Cylinder)to the firewall. It will take the tension off of the pedal bracket and allow for easier alignment until you get the bolts started.
HTH,
Gene

had a similar problem with my 71 column. I used nylon ties(or rope) attached to the under side of the dash to create a cradle under the column to hold up the column so my hands were free to work and the column would not fall on the floor. also have to detach the column at the firewall to allow freedom to move it around were it should be. make sure the end of the rag joint that slides over the stud on the steering box slides all the way down flush as far as possible on the stud. I had to totally remove the bolt in the rag joint to get it to slide all the way down on the stud. make sure the rag bolt is torqued properly for safety. I loosely installed the bolts to hold on the column under the dash then pushed the column toward the steering box to get the rag joint to install on the steering box stud. torqued on the rag bolt then pulled the column up a bit to open up the rag joint a bit so it wasn't crushed flat and tightened on the under dash bolts. then last tightened up the plate that attached at the firewall. be safe with the steering hook up.