Subframe Connector / R-Model Rollbar Installation Pics

amorrow

Jul 15, 2005
St. Charles, IL
Hi, I just thought I'd post some pics of my subframe connectors and R-model rollbar installation pics. The car's really dusty right now, having been in the shop for what seems like an eternity! I got the idea for the subframe connectors from someone (can't remember exactly whose '67 racer had the same setup) on this forum (or maybe it was the Vintage Mustang Forum?). This is a great route to go for someone running side-exit exhaust, as ground clearance isn't diminished. Thanks again whoever made the earlier post with this idea, and here are a couple pics of my car. Initially I was nervous about having this done, but I think the welder did a great job...

London001.jpg

This image will hopefully be of use to someone, as I had a time finding an image of exactly where the rear bars were to be welded...

London018.jpg

As you can see, plenty of ground clearance...

London004.jpg

And here are some remaining Shelby parts from my dwindling parts stash that have yet to be installed on the car/engine. Still on my to-get list is a reproduction Goodyear Blue Dot tire for the spare...I've ordered BFGoodrich Radial T/As for the others. And as you can see, the car will be a street-model GT350 clone, as the rollbar is the only R-model piece I'll be using.

London023.jpg

Attachments

• London001.jpg
    London001.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 811
  • London018.jpg
    London018.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 279
  • London004.jpg
    London004.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 91
  • London023.jpg
    London023.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi, thanks for the comments! Hopefully others will find the pics useful, as I had quite a time finding exact rear mounting locations for the rollbar. Every pic I saw showing an installed R-model rollbar had the mounts covered with the fiberglass shelf.

And yes, I'll be running override traction bars. After receiving my original-style kit from Branda, I thought the brackets looked fairly weak, and heard of the benefits others have noticed in going with the spring rods outfits like Cobra Automotive offer. So I plan on getting a set of the 900lb spring rods, cleaning up the holes that were used to test-fit my Branda bars, and having better brackets welded in the car (thicker ones have already been welded to my axle housing).

Oh yeah, the Marshall loves the Gibsons. Explorers are sweet, although to tell you the truth I've never played one...I've always wanted to try out a Korina Explorer or V. Anyway, unfortunately I don't think I could give up the Marshall; my 3-pup Les Paul Custom would miss it too much.

amorrow said:
Oh yeah, the Marshall loves the Gibsons. Explorers are sweet, although to tell you the truth I've never played one...I've always wanted to try out a Korina Explorer or V. Anyway, unfortunately I don't think I could give up the Marshall; my 3-pup Les Paul Custom would miss it too much.

i've got a cheap explorer copy but my brother has a pretty nice 70's strat. that 3 pickup Paul sounds nice. i've always wanted one of those too, and an SG and an ES335 like Alex Lifeson from Rush used to play. being that i'm really a drummer or a bass player, varies depending on my mood, i have a really nice early 70's Rogers drum kit, unfortunately i had to sell my Fender P-bass a few years ago. my brother has a pretty decent little bass for me jam on, though, when i feel the need.

That's cool, my dad was actually a drummer. I must say, you have great taste in guitars! :nice: I'm also a big fan of ES-335s; in fact, I just started searching for a cherry block-inlay 335 (like Clapton's). If you're an SG fan, you'd probably like my cherry EDS-1275 (doubleneck version of the SG as used by Jimmy Page in live versions of Stairway to Heaven).

I've discovered that many car enthusiasts also share an interest in guitars. Maybe it's because cars and musical instruments are both works of art that can actually be used? :shrug:

i'd love to have a double neck SG, but those are rare as hens teeth. what was the nickname they used to call that guitar? was it "warbird"? or something like that? anyway, i do have EXPENSIVE taste in guitars that's for sure.

i also have found that a lot of car guys are musicians too. of course most seem to be guitar players as well. the most famous example of a car guy musicians i can think of would be ZZ Top, Sammy Haggar even James Hetfield from Metallica is a serious car guy. Jeff Beck has the car (or a clone) from American Graffitti, Milner's Coupe, cool car.